Author Topic: The Schauer family's Migration to New Zealand  (Read 4697 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: The Schauer family's Migration to New Zealand
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 April 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for (any) children for Bertha, the following information may be found on NSW's records.......

Registrations   Information available from 1856:

Death   Full name, sex, age, date & place of death, place of residence, occupation and marital status.
Place of marriage, age when married, full name of spouse. Children's name and ages. Parents' names and mother's maiden name.
Cause of death and duration of last illness. Burial or cremation date and place.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Faganshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 November 19 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello John, Seany & Minniehaha..
I was doing a search for my grandfather John Alphage Fagan from my base in Norway and came across your posts. He did indeed have three daughters with my grandmother Eleanor Alice Elisabeth Schauer. They are: R (my mother born in 1926 - Living in UK / P - born 1931 and living in Napier / A - born 1938 living in Paikakariki). They are all still very much alive with many children and many grandchildren and even great grandchildren, mostly in New Zealand, but also spread across the world... It is fantastic to know that as a family we have roots in Prussia! - And also wonderful to know that there are long-lost cousins out there somewhere as well...!
Myself and my cousins are looking forward to finding out more. All the best for now.
Attached photo of J.A. Fagan - before he went to Gallipoli

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 November 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RC and the NZ board.

As it is policy of RootsChat not to name the living, I suggest you click on the MODIFY button and then shorten the names of the living to just initials. Then click on SAVE. After 24 hours only a MODERATOR can alter your text & post title.

Minniehaha checks in most days, so probably you will get an acknowledgement from her when she is up and going tomorrow.

If you re-post your J. A. Fagan photo on to the Photo Restore board, the volunteer members there with give it a new life. However each image attached to a post has to have a unique title, so probably best to first make a copy with a new title. I usually just add RC to my file name. (Eg. RC standing for my RootsChat archived copy, which I've probably modified to be under the 500Kb size limit, but which your posted photo already meets)

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 November 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
FaganShaw,

How unexpected! I'm so glad to hear from you. Since I'd first posted here I'd occasional tried over and over to look for a living relative on the Schauer side but to no such luck. Happy you've finally appeared and are interested in the old days.

I hope you might have some insights that I couldn't have thought up. And it's quite amazing your mum's generation are still around. From what I can gather, they would be the last children of that generation, and might have the faintest memory of their parents lives. Maybe a story or two? I believe my parent would be your mum's 2nd cousin.

In the meantime I've got a little collection of notes about the Schauers but there's still a lot I need to do, and haven't touched it in quite some time.

Look forward to hearing back.

Offline Faganshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Seany,
Trying to work out how to work this system and reply to a personal message...! I think I am not allowed to respond to personal messages until I have posted at least three times..?

Anyway me and my cousins are very amazed and excited about finding other Schauer descendants out there. My mother too.. she couldn't sleep when I told her that there was a Schauer descendant looking for her & her sisters!.. She doesn't really remember Charlie Shaw as he became known, but has all sorts of stories about the family.. She knows that Carl came to NZ for a gold mining job in Greymouth or Westport. She has a photo of herself as a baby (92 years ago!) being held by Carl.  She has always thought that the Schauer family came from Baden-Württemberg area in South West Germany near the Rhine... Mum also said that she tried to look for related Schauers in Melbourne when she was there... found a lot in the phone book, but never in person..

My self and my cousins have been collecting family facts, photos and stories for some years and are looking forwards to sharing them. I will get my other roots interested cousins (Also great grandsons of Carl Schauer) to sign up here, so that we can all share details...

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Fagan.

You are doing ok. Just one more post which can be as simple as hitting "reply" at the bottom of this post and acknowledging with txt, or just a smile, from the above selection, and post.

Then to the left of a post by a person you would like to send a PM to, you will see two icons under the copywright note. One is of a profile outline, the other (right) one looks like a note pad Click on it and it will take you directly to the private message page for that poster. Don't worry about the addressee box, but add a subject title in the next (2nd) vacant box.  Then type your message and process just as you did to make your posts on the open forum boards.

A members profile and private messages can also be accessed from the big banner bar at the top of the page. If you wish to privately share images you will have to arrange to share personal email addresses, as there is no provision for images in the PRIVATE MESSAGE system.

All the best,

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 00:38 GMT (UK) »
OOP'S.

Not sure what happened for my message to have displayed the way it has. Draft mode looks correct.

Perhaps too slow typing it out ???

Alan.

EDIT Just realized I used the wrong brackets, so the  programme took direction from them with regard to the display set.  NOW CORRECTED.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Note of interest.

It would appear that management has reduced the requirement to two (2) posts before access to Private Messaging is exercised.

Faganshaw is now successfully sharing information about their heritage, including of those still living.

Yesterday I did spot an advisory on the TECHNICAL board by "sarah" but assumed it only pertained to the restore and recognition boards.

EDIT added sarah's note from 18/11/19

"It is only 2 posts to use the chat, you should be ok now

Regards

Sarah"

Alan.