Author Topic: Finding an 1809 Marriage License  (Read 1311 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an 1809 Marriage License
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
This was not a Bishop of London licence, so it's not on Ancestry.

The licence was issued by the Archbishop of Canterbury through the Faculty Office, on 20 July 1809.

A copy of the allegation or bond can be ordered from the Society of Genealogists in London, who hold microfilms of the records, quoting the date of issue (not of marriage). Cost £15.

http://www.sog.org.uk/books-courses/document-hard-copy-service/

Hello

I have a feeling that these Marriage Licences issued by the Faculty Office were Special Licences.

http://www.facultyoffice.org.uk/special-licences/

Yes, the Society Genealogists (SoG) as already suggested.

----------

I believe an ordinary Marriage Licence (about 200 years ago) was valid for up to three months.

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling that these Marriage Licences issued by the Faculty Office were Special Licences.

Not quite. This is sometimes misunderstood. The link you provide relates to modern-day licences.

Historically, licences for marriage issued by the Archbishop of Canterbury were obtained by one of two routes -- via the Vicar-General's office, or via the Faculty Office. The Faculty Office issued common licences as well as special licences. This information leaflet from Lambeth Palace gives more information.

www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/files/Marriage_Records_0.pdf

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »

Not quite. This is sometimes misunderstood. The link you provide relates to modern-day licences.

Historically, licences for marriage issued by the Archbishop of Canterbury were obtained by one of two routes -- via the Vicar-General's office, or via the Faculty Office. The Faculty Office issued common licences as well as special licences. This information leaflet from Lambeth Palace gives more information.

www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/files/Marriage_Records_0.pdf

Hello Bookbox

Thank you for the clarification and the link.

Mark

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the helpful information.  I was able to get in contact with a very nice woman at the society of genealogists and asked whether or not the records for that day included allegations and not just bonds--due to what Bookbox mentioned.  Her reply was: "The Faculty Office marriage license allegations and Vicar General marriage license allegations listed in our hard-copy index are indeed allegations and not bonds."

I'm having a dilly of a time trying to find their "hard-copy index" on their site.  When you got the date of issue Bookbox, as the 20th did you search their hard copy index or another?

thanks again!
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
The 'hard-copy index' is exactly that - a hard copy, on the shelves at the SoG. The online version is available to SoG members only.

The index has been digitised by FindMyPast, but they don't specify whether any record is an allegation or a bond.

Good news that there's an allegation!