Author Topic: Help with Birth location  (Read 886 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Birth location
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Someone might be able to enhance that place name using some programme or other. I think I can see an ..."lock" at the end of the word written in lighter ink or pencil beneath. Only one l. Hilock? No such place is there?  :-\

Offline msfarrar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Im guessing that Mary is Alices daughter but cannot be sure . She's the only one in the house of the right age

I am hoping not  ( because she gave up my grandmother for adoption who was born in 1905)

I have  a marriage record of Mary marrying a Robert R Hepple in 1926

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Mmm, I agree, I thought it ended in -lloch or llock.

Where I though it could be J Hilloch(k)  - it could just be an H, ie Hilloch, Hillock or......

what about Hullock?

Because - in a reverse dropping of the haitch - there is an Ullock in Cumbria, in the right place perhaps - around Workington, Cockermouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullock

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
"Ullock" is a distinct possibility Ambly.

If it was an enumerator who was a Northumberland native who filled in the form I would have said it must be Ullock misheard as Hullock, but presumably the grandfather who filled in the form ... perhaps he was not such a good speller or did not have too much of a grasp of geography.

I have just had another thought though. To me the signature of John Tinnion is not in the same handwriting as the rest of the page. Perhaps John had help filling out the form, and whoever helped him was unfamiliar with places in Cumberland and they wrote Hullock rather than Ullock? I think maybe John just signed the form.   :)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Msfarrar, are you saying that Alice had an illegitimate child (your grandmother) in 1905 and she gave her up for adoption? Alice kept Mary but had your grandmother adopted?  :o

It might be worth a punt to purchase that birth certificate for Mary Tinnion to see if Alice is her mother.

Offline msfarrar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Strange as it sounds , yes thats what I'm  thinking

I know that Alice Maud Tinnion was born in the Fylde in Oct-Dec 1905 and that her mother was Alice Tinnion and the father is not registered.. My grandmother Alice Maud Farrar was also born in Blackpool in 1905'ish and her b/day was Oct 26.   There is no record of birth cert for her
Also cant find Alice Maud Tinnion on 1911 census or later marriage, so maybe one and the same ?

And I know that I have 2nd-3rd-4th cousin DNA matches with two people , who, all three of us have a match with another person who took a dna test surnamed Tinnion.
 Alices Tinnions brother and mother/father are the direct ancestors  of one of those persons to whom I have 2nd-3rd cousin relationship. In fact the mother is 2nd-3rd  and her daughter 3rd-4th
So Im highly confident that Alice  Tinnion whos parents are John Tinnion/Margaret Darby  is my GGM.

I am awaiting arrival of Alice Maud Tinnions BC to see if her mothers address is Cumbria..