Author Topic: Tracing Russell Family  (Read 683 times)

Offline Cathy Russell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing Russell Family
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Please help me trace the roots of my father's family.
Five brothers..
Joe, Alf, Henry, Fred and Frank .. surname Russell

My father Frank Russell born 3 August 1926 passed away December 1965.
Married
Olga May Du Triou born 24 May 1928

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Russell Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Where?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathy Russell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing Russell Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 03:28 GMT (UK) »
I am from Johannesburg.. South Africa
I do not know where my fathers family came from.
Uncle Fred stayed in Bulawayo
Uncle Joe was a sailor
My dad and uncle Henry lived in Johannesburg.
I was told my grand parents passed away when my dad was young.. Uncle Henry raised him.
All five brothers passed away by the age of 40.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
If it is possible purchase your parents marriage certificate it may contain something important that will assist you and others trying to  help you get started
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Try to find out from someone else in the extended family, who may know more about where the Russells originated from - it is a fairly common and widespread name.
I'm assuming that you feel they came from Britain originally - if not, where do you think they came from? There may be immigration / emigration records to find.
Do you have the dates of birth of all the brothers of your father - from free B M D you might that way discover the mother's name, and / or the area in Britain you are seeking.
From the information of your father's marriage certificate and marriage certificate, can you discover the names of parent(s), that may help you.
Good luck with your search.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)