Author Topic: Mary Teresa Creighton in New York  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Teresa Creighton in New York
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Mary Teresa,known as Minnie Creighton was born in Cookstown Co Tyrone ,Ireland on 20 August 1893. She emigrated to America,arriving in New York on 8 Feb 1926,going to stay with brother Robert at 107 Holl St,South Manchester.1930 census has her working as a servant in Eastchester.
Can,t find her in 1940 census,so asking the obvious questions,did she marry?or did she die?or did she return back to Ireland?
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Curley
Burnettof Magherafelt,Portadown,U.S.A,New Zealand
Henry of Cookstown,U.S.A,Australia.
Brown,McIntyre,Foster,McKnight

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Teresa Creighton in New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify for others, that was South Manchester, Connecticut and Eastchester, New York. 

There is a Westchester Co. marriage index here - http://archives.westchestergov.com/browse-all-online-indexes-main  I don't see her, but it only goes up to 1935.

Have you looked at what happened to her brother? 

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Brother Robert H Creighton is in Westchester with wife and two family and cousin Minnie Brady as lodger in the 1940 census.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be Robert's son Robert on the Social Security Death Index:  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JK2Y-1JD

On www.fultonhistory.com, I found an article in the Mount Vernon newspaper from 1951 that refers to Robert H. Creighton, age 52, of 96 Pine Ridge Road, North White Plains, getting into a minor car accident.  I'm not having much luck finding anything later than that.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps, I found an article on www.fultonhistory.com and a church marriage record for Robert Sr.'s daughter Alice marrying a Theodore R. Williams.  This appears to be that Theodore's burial & obituary - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/175873728  It looks like Alice passed away 1 May 2014.

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that
Curley

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The New York state marriage index recently became available, and I found an entry for Mary T. Creighton and Robert Law, who married 22 May 1935 in Mount Vernon.  Mount Vernon is very close to Eastchester. 

I found this 1940 census with Mary T. Law, which seems to match your Minnie as far as age and place of birth:  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQ31-4M3

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I found an obit for Robert in the Mt. Vernon Daily Argus from 17 Jun. 1947 on www.fultonhistory.com.  He was born Northern Ireland, a retired farmer living at 2425 Palmer Ave., New Rochelle.  He had lived in New Rochelle for 9 years and previously in Carmel.  His widow was Mrs. Minnie Creighton and surviving sisters were Mrs. Sarah Chambers of Mt. Vernon, Mrs. Margaret Pell of Carmel, and several sisters abroad.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I think this may be a 1937 passenger list for Minnie Law - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24KL-1HW  The 2nd page she had been in the US previously from 1926-1937, so that would fit yours.  It says her sister was Mrs. R. Houston, Castlecott, Bushmills, N. Ireland.  Maybe you know if that fits a known sister of Minnie.