Author Topic: looking for the military career of James Adams  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
looking for the military career of James Adams
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been looking on Ancestry and (as far as accessibility allows) Fold3, but wasn't able to find anything interesting yet...

Through DNA tests, there is a big probability that my ancestor, John Adams °ca. 1783, London area, is related to a James Adams °ca. 1788. I am now looking for information about James, to see how and where he might fit in my tree.

In the 1841 census, he is living with his wife Catherine and 2 daughters, Ann and Martha, in Windsor Castle. He will die there later the same year. I have his will, and an obituary from "Gentleman's Magazine" stating that he was appointed Standard Keeper at the Round Tower in Windsor Castle for his bravery in Copenhagen, Corunna, the West Indies and Havana.

I would like to find out more about his military career, in the hope of finding more children and where/when he was born.

Are there any archives that would be helpful?

Regards,
Tom

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for the military career of James Adams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If this is the record of his will then it shows that he was a Gunner in the Royal Regiment of Artillery,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D72646

There seem to be a lot of James ADAMS in the Royal Artillery but it might be a place to start looking :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage?  It appears from the census that his wife and daughter Ann were born in Ireland/Scotland? Do you have any of the children's births/ baptism records. They may show his military details. Though it does look like he was Artillery. Military service records for this period do not show family details on them. I have had a look for a service record for him....can't see one. Cheers. GB.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
There is this birth for an Ann in 1824. The R.A 24 refers to the father being in the Royal Artillery.

You would have to order it from the GRO if you felt it was worth it.

First name(s)   Ann
Last name   Adams
Sex   Female
Birth year   1824
Place   Moy
Country   Ireland
Type   Armed Forces
Archive   General Register Office
Source   Gro Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761 To 1924)
Record's year range   1824
Volume   R.A.24
Page   32
Line number   81
Archive reference   REG2
Record set   British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibility Catherine remarried to a William Smith in 1842 at St Saviour,Southwark. She is a widow ...father given as Patrick Ferguson.

In the 1851 census you can see the family.

St Pauls Place, Saint Mary Newington

William   Smith   Head   Married   Male   31   1820   Vocalist?   b York, Yorkshire,
Catharine   Smith   Wife    b 1824   Laundress   b ???  Hard to read
Emily Kate   Smith   Daughter    b 1846   -   b Kennington, Surrey,
Martha   Adams   Step Daughter b 1835   Servant   b Windsor, Berkshire,

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
22, Bird Street, Lambeth, London & Surrey, England

William   Smith   Head   Married   Male   41   1820   musician vocalist..   York, Yorkshire, England
Catherine   Smith   Wife   Married   Female   37   1824   -   Scotland   
Emily   Smith   Daughter   -   Female   15   1846   Scholar   Surrey, England

So it looks like you are looking for a marriage between a James Adams and a Catherine Ferguson.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. JAMES
Marriage of JAMES ADAMS of N/R and CATH FERGUSON of N/R on 9 September 1822

Nothing else is shown in the actual image. Just Thier names.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
His wife's surname confirmed by birth of Emily Kate Smith....her mother's maiden name being Ferguson.

:   Mother's Maiden Surname:    
SMITH, EMILY  KATE     FERGISON     
GRO Reference: 1846  J Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 04  Page 259

Not helping much with your original query,still can't see a surviving service record. But as I said...service records for this period do not contain family information.

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
His wife's surname confirmed by birth of Emily Kate Smith....her mother's maiden name being Ferguson.

:   Mother's Maiden Surname:    
SMITH, EMILY  KATE     FERGISON     
GRO Reference: 1846  J Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 04  Page 259

Not helping much with your original query,still can't see a surviving service record. But as I said...service records for this period do not contain family information.

Thanks for all these! I had seen the daughter was born in Ireland but for some reason never went to look into that... Stupid me.
It doesn't tell me much about James, but it still is valuable information!
Thanks again :)
Tom