Author Topic: looking for the military career of James Adams  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for the military career of James Adams
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »

Good find about Catherine FERGUSON/ADAMS/SMITH  :)  Following you trail I see that in 1871 she has a POB as Ireland, the same as 1841, maybe she was an Army child as wasn't sure where she was born :-\  I think her DOB is 1804 rather than 1824.

This looks like Martha's marriage which helps confirm that she is the daughter of James,

02 Apr 1854
St Mary, Lambeth

John STEVENSON
Bachelor 
Baker
Father:  Robert STEVENSON  (decd)  Forester

Martha ADAMS
Spinster
Father:  James ADAMS (decd)  Gunner   

Both of full age, living at Brooks Street.

Witnesses:  George ADAMS, Charle? ROBERTS

So who is George ADAMS? A brother, cousin, or just a coincidence?

You are trying to find out how James ADAMS connects to John ADAMS, is there a George in that family?

This link shows (amongst others) some possible children for James ADAMS and Catherine in Ireland,

Register of Marriages and Baptisms, [2 Battalion] Royal Artillery

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11750956

I think it means he was in the 2nd Btn at that time :-\  If so it might help narrow down his records.

James, a child of James ADAMS of Royal Artillery and Catherine, was baptised on 5 December 1822 at Moy. Note: Born 20 November 1822.

Anne, a child of James ADAMS of Royal Artillery and Margaret, was baptised on 29 February 1824 at Charlemont. Note: Born 5 February 1824.

Mary, a child of James ADAMS of Royal Artillery and Catherine, was baptised on 28 November 1824 at Ballincollig. Note: Born 12 November 1824.

Moy and Charlemont are quite close together in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.

Ballincollig is close to Carrigrohane in County Cork, Ireland, so I wonder if the above Mary b. 12 November 1824 belongs to this James and Catherine?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11750936

James ADAMS, of Royal Artillery, and Catherine O'MEARA married on 23 November 1823 at Carrigrohane.

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Good find about Catherine FERGUSON/ADAMS/SMITH  :)  Following you trail I see that in 1871 she has a POB as Ireland, the same as 1841, maybe she was an Army child as wasn't sure where she was born :-\  I think her DOB is 1804 rather than 1824.

Yes, 1824 is her daughter Ann Adams. I think too that Catherine was born around 1804. This means she was very young when she married (only 18), while James was in his 30's.

This looks like Martha's marriage which helps confirm that she is the daughter of James,

John STEVENSON
Bachelor 

Yes, I had found this as well.

Witnesses:  George ADAMS, Charle? ROBERTS
So who is George ADAMS? A brother, cousin, or just a coincidence?
You are trying to find out how James ADAMS connects to John ADAMS, is there a George in that family?

Well, that George was one of the reasons I started looking into this Adams family. My John has a son called George, and his son John also has a son called George. No James though...

This link shows (amongst others) some possible children for James ADAMS and Catherine in Ireland,

I'll have a look at these!

James ADAMS, of Royal Artillery, and Catherine O'MEARA married on 23 November 1823 at Carrigrohane.

Hmmm... So it looks like we have two different couples James Adams x Catherine in the same area at the same time. That makes finding his children complicated.

Thanks for the hints!

Regards,
Tom

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I just noticed... So Ann would be the daughter of a Margaret, and not Catherine? That's surely a different Ann, wouldn't you say?

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »

Oops sorry :-[

I was so busy looking at the James ADAMS entries that I missed that the Ann b.1824 in Charlemont had a mother called Margaret. ::)

Just some possible thoughts that have had my head spinning  :)

James was previously married and the Catherine that Ann is with in 1841 is not her mother.

Ann is not a daughter of James at all as the 1841 census doesn't show relationships. 

Catherine could have been married before she married James ADAMS which would mean he married a Catherine ?? ,  father's name FERGUSON.

Ann could Catherine's child before she married James ADAMS.

Many Army wives remarried other soldiers.

I'm sorry that one of these really help but I've learnt that all possibilities should be looked at :)

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)