Author Topic: French Birth Record  (Read 920 times)

Offline Lumley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
French Birth Record
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with a search for my 3rd great grandfather. It has taken a long time to get this far, as my research now shows his name had changed by the time it was added to his son's marriage certificate in 1878 (he was deceased by then), as had his son's (Alfred Raphael Gassion) ! The birth record I just cannot find is for Francois Hubert Gassion. I know he was born around 1800 in France (from census information) and he was an Assistant French Master at King's College London between 1833 and 1853. I just cannot find any clue as to where in France he was born, nor when he came to the UK. Any helps or tips would be gratefully received. This really is all I need to know at this stage. Many thanks.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FRENCH BIRTH RECORD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Well, it would appear he was in England by 1825:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJQT-ZHS

It is quite hard to trace a family in France without a location, unless you get lucky - there is no.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01li6/
 - this could possibly be a reference? A Francois-Hubert Gassion, a resident of Caen (in Calvados), in 1822 sold some land at Castillon (presumably also the one in Calvados).

There also is another reference in the same book to a Francois-Hubert Gassion giving up title (I think?) of some land in Castillon to Marie-Anne Julienne, widow of Raphael Gassion, resident of Castillon.

http://archives.calvados.mnesys.fr/?id=recherche_thematique
  - a search of civil records here shows a birth record for a Francois Hubert Gassion
7 Messidor III (Revolutionary calendar) which corresponds to 25 June 1795.

To find this in the birth records you need the image set "1793-1812 Castillon > Naissances, Mariages, Décès Lacunes : N.M.D. (an IV-an VI). ", image 41 of 442  (I'm not sure I can direct link).

Extracting the pertinent: Raphael Gassion, resident of Castillon, a bricklayer, along with Hubert Gassion, day-labourer aged 39, and Marguerite Le Cordier widow of Francois Gassion, aged 60, both residing Castillion, declared that his wife, Marie Anne Le Bourgois, was delivered of a male child given the names Francois Hubert.

Various legal wording - Raphael signs R. Gassion quite neatly and Hubert (brother?) manages a more shaky signature.

This is not proof that this Francois Hubert = your Francois Hubert, but it is interesting that this man had a father Raphael, and yours gave his son the middle name Raphael, and that he seems to have possibly disposing of property in France in the early 1820s, soon before your man appears to marry in England.  I think it would be worth investigating this Castillon family some more.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lumley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. I will investigate further. Much appreciated.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
He moved around didn't he
Francis Hubert Gassion
married Elizabeth Hannah Knights in St Sepulchre ,London 18th May 1825
Elizabeth Hannah Gassion baptised St Nicholas Brighton
Frances Mary Ann Gassion baptised St Nicholas ,Brighton
Francis Robert Gassion baptised St Nicholas Brighton
there is a mention of St John The Baptist ,Chester for Alfred Raphael Gassion -

all on www.geneanet.org
ADDED interesting - Alfred is a Newspaper Reporter in Chester in the 1871 census - says he was born London 1836 - not Brighton like 3 siblings .. :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lumley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
3 pages of Gaschoni - all Birmingham/Warwick AARON r is mentioned - looks like a couple of sisters as well

https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?go=1&nom=gaschoni&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&with_variantes_nom=&with_variantes_nom_conjoint=&with_variantes_prenom=&with_variantes_prenom_conjoint=&size=10

sorry to be negative - but that looks a different family to me - where is your connection with Gassion and Gaschoni ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lumley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a pm.