Author Topic: REME & Operation Fortitude  (Read 405 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
REME & Operation Fortitude
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what part (if any) REME played in Operation Fortitude in WW2 please
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REME & Operation Fortitude
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
As the major physical efforts in Op Fortitude were signal communications and dummy equipments (tanks, guns etc), there can be no doubt that the various units carrying out these tasks would all have required REME support.  Signallers needed the technicians who kept their wireless sets and vehicles on the road, builders of dummy tanks would have need some element of technical expertise.
Where the paper on the operation www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA404434 mentions some  some piece of equipment such as vehicles running up and down runways to simulate aircraft, it would be fair to say that somewhere behind those vehicles would be a REME technician.
Quote from the REME of today just as true then - Wherever the British Army are, whatever the Unit is, there you will find REME

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Re: REME & Operation Fortitude
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
That's great MaxD, thank you. I missed a programme on PBS America yesterday on Last Heroes of
D-Day that I think made reference to it, but I dont think I can replay a programme that has passed mores the pity
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)