Author Topic: Moston/ Mostyn / Mistins in 1891  (Read 758 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moston/ Mostyn / Mistins in 1891
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I've hunted all over An*****y until I'm very pink in the face, but I simply can't seem to find this family - who I suspect should still be in Clerkenwell or Bethanl Green areas in 1891, anywhere. I can't imagine they were holidaying abroad at the time of the 1891 census!
I'm seeking the family / children especially of: Alfred Charles Moston b circa 1849
                                                                    Alice Emma (Hassell) his wife b c 1852
and children: Alice (1871), Catherine/Katherine (1878), Alfred (1881), and Ethel May (1886)
Has anyone any idea of where they all - or even some of them - may have been in 1891?
I have them safely in 1881 and some in 1901, but simply can't locate them in 1891, and would appreciate help and / or guidance.
Thank you
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moston/ Mostyn / Mistins in 1891
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry (you are allowed to use the word  ;D) they are indexed as Martyn

RG 12 / 223/ 81 / 53
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »

RG 12 / 223/ 81 / 53

Well done JenB  :) I was going to ask for their pob, occupation father .........
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »

RG 12 / 223/ 81 / 53

Well done JenB  :) I was going to ask for their pob, occupation father .........

I just put in Alfred born 1849, spouse Alice, child Alice lived in London and there they were on the first page  :D (Not always so lucky  ;D )

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much - for the information re: "Ancestry", and also for yet another variation on the surname!! (How on earth are we supposed to find them, when the wretches seem to have varied their names each time they appeared on any official document?). Off to look 'em up properly myself, right now.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Close inspection reveals they've put Mastyn, but I can see why both Ancestry and FindMyPast have interpreted it as Martyn.

Thank you very much - for the information re: "Ancestry",

see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,593032.msg4435209.html#msg4435209  :D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
It is indeed the right mob - I've just checked it out. Like you, I can see from the beautiful writing of the enumerator, how easily it has become "Martyn"! Thank you again, that's exactly what I'd hoped and expected to find at that date.
Thank you very much, JenB and Ladyhawk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, having chased that Martyn or whatever, family up and down the censuses .... I'm not certain they're the Mostyn /Moston /Mistins.
At least I checked it out. That's what one should always do, isn't it, even if it doesn't get you any closer to them.
Thank you all, in any case...