Author Topic: Hannah BOWERS/BENSON marr 1 Nov 1806 Fulford, Stone - 3 records 1 person?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hannah BOWERS/BENSON marr 1 Nov 1806 Fulford, Stone - 3 records 1 person?
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I have a conundrum. Many years ago I found a record of marriage between John WALTERS and Hannah BOWERS in Hilderstone 1 Nov 1806. Never saw the image or verified the record.

Lately I have returned to this to double-check and have found 3 records that might all be the same event:
1. Ancestry transcription of marriage 1 Nov 1806 between JW and Hannah BENSON in STONE
2. FindMyPast transcription of all marriage 1 Nov 1806 between JW and Hannah BENSON in FULFORD
3. FindMyPast image of marriage 1 Nov 1806 between JW and Hannah BOWERS in chapel FULFORD St. Nicholas

The matter is implicated because Hilderstone did not have separate marriage registers until 1841 - before that they were part of Stone. Fulford St. Nicholas was also a chapelry in Stone.

I am keen to know if BENSON is a mistranscription of BOWERS. I would be very grateful if anyone who has access to the Staffs. parish registers might be able to look up 1. and 2. above in the registers.

Many thanks
HODGES, WALTERS, CURTIS, TREGOWETH, MARLOW, STEW, JONES (B'ham), JONES (Shrops), EDWARDS, FOWKES, PANTER, BUCKBY, GRINDON, HILL, HITCHCOCK, HARGRAVE, NASH, ARNOLD, LEVY, DOUGHTY, NOBLE

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah BOWERS/BENSON marr 1 Nov 1806 Fulford, Stone - 3 records 1 person?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if I'm helping or not.

I've looked through the Stone Parish registers (St Michael) and there is no marriage there of JW and HB.
Can't help with Anc* - it is just a transcription.

I've looked at the Fulford register and it is BOWERS - she signs as Bowers and a witness to the marriage is a Bowers also. - from F M P

Also noted that the couple married by Licence which can also be viewed on F M P - she is Hannah Bowers on that record also, and a John Bowers a farmer witnesses. Also noticed Hannah was of the parish of Stone and JW was a widower and a farmer of Stone.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah BOWERS/BENSON marr 1 Nov 1806 Fulford, Stone - 3 records 1 person?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Claire thank you so much - this is incredibly helpful. I think Benford is a mistranscription of Bowers as everything else points to Bowers being the correct surname. Thanks again :)
HODGES, WALTERS, CURTIS, TREGOWETH, MARLOW, STEW, JONES (B'ham), JONES (Shrops), EDWARDS, FOWKES, PANTER, BUCKBY, GRINDON, HILL, HITCHCOCK, HARGRAVE, NASH, ARNOLD, LEVY, DOUGHTY, NOBLE