Author Topic: parentige  (Read 3680 times)

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
parentige
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am having trouble finding my forbears parents,  he is James howatson born between 1808 and 1810/12 in Dalkeith Scotland he married Elizabeth Sime in 1838 in Dalkeith, but cannot find a birth for him or a parent as it dosent show on his marriage cert name of Father etc have seemed to have tried every avenue with no success many thanks wolly

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: parentige
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when he died?
If he was born around 1810 and married in 1838, there's a good chance he died after 1855.
If so, his death certificate (as long as it's still in Scotland), would show his parents' names. (If the informant of his death knew them). Have you looked at this?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you found them on the Census ?
Possible matching couple on the 1851 , 1861 , and 1871 Census in Dalkeith(with child Marion ?).

Scotlandspeople has -
Death for an Elizabeth Howatson(or Sim) , age 59 , 1871 Dalkeith , Midlothian.

Death for a James Howatson , age 66 , 1874 Dalkeith Midlothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Akwaba2018

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Death registration - parents unknown

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: parentage
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you eliminated James Hoatson, son of Samuel Hoatson and Helen Watson, baptised in Dalkeith on 19 November 1812?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
i havent eliminated James of Samuel & Helen Hoatson (Howatson ) but cant find a connection as Neither are mentioned on James marriage to Elizabeth sime, have tried to follow up,  it was thought James was son of James Howatson and Jean scot at one time , but cant find direct connection after James and Jean got married,  have tried births deaths etc on scotlands people with no luck, we have all the imformation from James and Elizabeth onward its just would like to find out who his parents were , or if he had any brothers or sister 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you eliminated James Hoatson, son of Samuel Hoatson and Helen Watson, baptised in Dalkeith on 19 November 1812?

Why did you not think that these parents could be James'? James and Elizabeth's first born son b. 1842 was called Samuel.

Have you checked the Old Parish Register christening entries for their children to see whether any family surnames show as sponsors?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I havent seen the baptism notice which I'll look for but family who are also searching were under the impression James Howatson and Jean scot were the parents but I wasnt so sure , I have a short copy of the tree which states that that james & Jean were the parents but on the same tree  at the side were Samuel & Helen , both couples were married at the same church same yr, o obviosley the person that did the short tree wasnt sure themselves    wolly

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: parentage
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I havent seen the baptism notice which I'll look for but family who are also searching were under the impression James Howatson and Jean scot were the parents but I wasnt so sure , I have a short copy of the tree which states that that james & Jean were the parents but on the same tree  at the side were Samuel & Helen , both couples were married at the same church same yr, o obviosley the person that did the short tree wasnt sure themselves
Never trust a tree you find online - use it as a guide but always go back to orginal sources to check.

Samuel is not all that common a name in Scotland. If James and Elizabeth's first child was named Samuel, that is a fairly strong indication that James' father was Samuel.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.