Author Topic: Who discovered America?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who discovered America?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
You got in there before me Maiden Stone, I was going to mention St Brendan the navigator too. Not proven of course, but still!
I've always found the statement that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America v strange..as if the native Americans hadn't actually done so.

Where all the native Americans came from is also hotly debated.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/dna-search-first-americans-links-amazon-indigenous-australians-180955976/

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Henry passed away 1497, at age 93 at death place, Kentucky. Probably from a surfeit of fried chicken. Must just have missed Cabot landing in Newfoundland that same year. Perhaps I was wrong about his ancestry, although it did mention Kent. Perhaps his early relatives were Norse or even native Americans and the owner of the tree omitted to say so.
Not surprising, as I have seen trees where owners have traced themselves back to Adam and Eve. Has anyone found a tree where the ancestry goes back further than that!!!!
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Henry passed away 1497, at age 93 at death place, Kentucky. Probably from a surfeit of fried chicken. Must just have missed Cabot landing in Newfoundland that same year. Perhaps I was wrong about his ancestry, although it did mention Kent. Perhaps his early relatives were Norse or even native Americans and the owner of the tree omitted to say so.
Not surprising, as I have seen trees where owners have traced themselves back to Adam and Eve. Has anyone found a tree where the ancestry goes back further than that!!!!

I have seen a few trees claim to descend from Adam's father God  ???

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes. " I can trace  my ancestry all the way back to a  protoplasmal,  primordial atomic  globule. In consequence, my family  pride is something  inconceivable.  I can't help it. I was  born sneering"  Pooh Bah.. The  Mikado.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I had been led to believe that the first proven European to discover America was John Cabot in 1497 but have just been searching through info on members of Horne Family and came across this entry.

Henry Horne was born in 1404, at birth place, Kentucky.
Henry married Unknown Horne.
was born in 1405, in Waltham, Kent, England.
They had one daughter: Joan Haute (born Horne).
Henry passed away on month day 1497, at age 93 at death place, Kentucky.

Obviously it was a Man of Kent who discovered America. Unless you can find an earlier settler!!

I was always led to believe it was Amerigo Vespucci

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 February 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I await the discovery of a Roman Galley preserved somewhere in the Everglades of Florida! Possible I believe.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I had been led to believe that the first proven European to discover America was John Cabot in 1497 but have just been searching through info on members of Horne Family and came across this entry.

Henry Horne was born in 1404, at birth place, Kentucky.
Henry married Unknown Horne.
was born in 1405, in Waltham, Kent, England.
They had one daughter: Joan Haute (born Horne).
Henry passed away on month day 1497, at age 93 at death place, Kentucky.

Obviously it was a Man of Kent who discovered America. Unless you can find an earlier settler!!
So Kentucky was named after Kent! Obviously!
It might have been a Maid of Kent who discovered the place.
Cowban

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 February 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Well done Maiden Stone, that gave me a really good laugh!!
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 April 18 06:56 BST (UK) »
Leif the Lucky gets my vote for "discovering" North America, despite the indigenous tribes having already been there for thousands of years.
I was always led to believe that the North American tribes came across Bering Strait when it was a solid land mass. The beliefs and rituals of the North American tribes and the people of the steppes in Asia are too similar to be a coincidence in my opinion.
And not only Adam and Eve, but I have seen many trees stretching back to Woden, and even the Ancient Egyptian gods. Credible research?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.