Author Topic: Who discovered America?  (Read 5670 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who discovered America?
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
 I had been led to believe that the first proven European to discover America was John Cabot in 1497 but have just been searching through info on members of Horne Family and came across this entry.

Henry Horne was born in 1404, at birth place, Kentucky.
Henry married Unknown Horne.
was born in 1405, in Waltham, Kent, England.
They had one daughter: Joan Haute (born Horne).
Henry passed away on month day 1497, at age 93 at death place, Kentucky.

Obviously it was a Man of Kent who discovered America. Unless you can find an earlier settler!!
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who discovered America?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
But wasn't it Viking Leif Erikson, son of Erik the Red, who first discovered and settled in North America?  Erik was the founder of the first Norse settlement in Greenland, having been banished from Iceland.  Leif's approximate date of birth is given as c970 or 980, though sometimes he is given as 11th century, anyway long before 1492 (Christopher Columbus).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I think you'll find that whoever claims to have discovered America was beaten to it by the people who already lived there. The continent was settled well before anyone from Europe claimed to have discovered it.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I know.  Annoying, isn't it?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
My vote goes to the Irish Saint Brendan. He sailed across, had a look and returned to Ireland. Sensible man.  :)
Cowban

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
You got in there before me Maiden Stone, I was going to mention St Brendan the navigator too. Not proven of course, but still!
I've always found the statement that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America v strange..as if the native Americans hadn't actually done so.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
You got in there before me Maiden Stone, I was going to mention St Brendan the navigator too. Not proven of course, but still!
I've always found the statement that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America v strange..as if the native Americans hadn't actually done so.
The correct answer to the original question is "Nobody. It wasn't lost so didn't need finding and it wasn't called America."
Brendan got there before any of the others mentioned. He just didn't boast about it.  ;D  I have the music "The Brendan Voyage" suite.
Cowban

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Maiden Stone
The correct answer to the original question is "Nobody. It wasn't lost so didn't need finding and it wasn't called America."
[/quote
Very good Maiden Stone.  ;D ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
This captured my attention as my Father was from St. John's, Newfoundland and I remember going to see the Cabot Tower at Signal Hill in St. John's when I visited relatives some 18 years ago. I remember reading about his discovery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/cabot_john.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabot_Tower_(St._John%27s)

Gillg is correct.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU