Author Topic: Cheddar Man's DNA  (Read 10007 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Cheddar Man's DNA
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 February 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
"If you have brown eyes, you'll be happy to know that researchers have found the higher melanin content in your eyes is associated with a number of health benefits.  ...   But it's not all good news for people with brown eyes."

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color-brown.htm

[Full disclosure:  I have brown eyes.]
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 February 18 07:10 GMT (UK) »
I dont have a TV and am going to comedy festival tonight so cant watchbit at someone elses house . so will be very grateful if you comment on  what you think of program

Thanks forcadding radio link mows
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Well there was a lot of speculation in that that wasn't backed up satisfactorily IMO.

I was disappointed they did not reveal what his haplogroup was seeing as the female who did the drilling on the skull (forget her name. Its Selina Brace, thanks to the link provided by alpinecottage ) said the results they got were very good.

I do not believe the Natural history Museum has 350 scientists working on things. Did I mishear?

The £200,000 DNA evaluating machine was interesting and led me to thinking it would be good to have a documentary programme taking a genealogy DNA test through from taking the test to evaluation of the results and presentation to the "owner" and what assumptions they draw along the way.

Oh and I see Ancestry were involved in the DNA analysis too. Don't know if it was wise to advertise that!

As for him being black so what, we all know we originally come from Africa (unless you are a creationist) and what colour do you think they were.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
.  Oh and I see Ancestry were involved in the DNA analysis too. Don't know if it was wise to advertise that!

I noticed that, they made a point in showing the box didn’t they? Is that now going to make everyone who buys the Ancestry DNA kit think they will get back that far?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
.  Oh and I see Ancestry were involved in the DNA analysis too. Don't know if it was wise to advertise that!

I noticed that, they made a point in showing the box didn’t they? Is that now going to make everyone who buys the Ancestry DNA kit think they will get back that far?

Well you just know its only a matter of time before Cheddar man turns up on someone's Ancestry tree .....
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to the abstract of the pre-print of the paper that describes the work - Cheddar man was just one of 73 Mesolithic and Neolithic individuals studied.  (Pre-print means it has not been peer-reviewed yet, but all the people who worked on it or advised are listed).  From the abstract you can download the pdf of the whole paper, free of charge and no signing up for anything.  https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/02/18/267443

It is a clear accessible report, with some diagrams - any specific technical words or phrases that I didn't understand are clear (enough) from the context. 

The most significant points are 1. All Mesolithic hunter-gatherers across the whole of Europe were very similar genetically.  2. Farming was introduced to Europe by waves of migrating peoples from Anatolia, who were genetically different. 3. When the Neolithic (farming) started in Britain, it did so about 1000 years after it had started in N France, Belgium etc. and the genetic make-up of the Britain changed quite abruptly at that point. 
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 February 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I found the program oddly incomplete.

Chedder Man isn't "The First Brit". There is evidence for Neanderthals (apparently) in Britain and even if Chedder Man IS the most complete skeleton there is enough evidence from earlier finds, such as the Red "Lady" of Paviland, to be able to tell a lot about their build and what they ate.

Even in the program they said they'd tested older DNA from Britain as they know Cheddar man isn't a direct descendant.

Strange that they didn't clarify where the earlier humans came from exactly and if they also had blue eyes and dark skin.

I realise they only had an hour but there was so much more I wanted to know
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 February 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/learn/story-of-england/prehistory/

EARLIEST HUMANS

Flint tools found in 2010 near Happisburgh in Norfolk have been dated to about 900,000 years ago, pushing back the earliest identified human occupation of Britain by up to 100,000 years. Their users were among the hominids (early humans) who periodically visited Britain (which was then not an island, but joined to mainland Europe), sometimes over long periods, in warmer eras between successive Ice Ages.

The oldest human remains so far found in England, at Boxgrove in Sussex, date from about 500,000 years ago, and belonged to a six-foot tall man of the species Homo heidelbergensis. Shorter, stockier ‘Neanderthals’ visited Britain between 300,000 and 35,000 years ago, followed by the direct ancestors of modern humans.

These Ice Age humans created the earliest known cave art in England at Creswell Crags, Derbyshire, about 13,000 years ago.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
The Ice-Age wiped that slate clean, the Cheddar Guy is the first Brit (hate that expression) post the big freeze. He's now the big cheese post the big freeze!  ;D

Skoosh.