Author Topic: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot but I am wondering if anyone out there knows if Jacob Miller and his 'wife' Jane Anderson ever actually married? 

In 1871 they were living in New York in Northumberland with their children Isabella, Sarah, William,
Jacob, John, Michael, and Alexander.  Their daughter Isabella married my ancestor Thomas Conroy who was the brother of my Great x 2 Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy.  Their son Michael married Elizabeth Watson who was the niece of Simon Peter.  Her parents were William and Mary Watson nee Conroy.

I suspect that Jacob and Jane may have met in Morpeth, Northumberland as both were living there in 1851 and several of their children are baptized here. 

I have never been able to find a marriage for them and wonder if they were common-in-law partners? 

Any thoughts appreciated.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered Jane might have been married before and therefore not free to marry Jacob

Have found this family on 1861 but have you looked for Jane on 1851, Jacob is at home with parents on 1851 if I am correct, not to sure about Jane , I'll leave that open for the time being,

1861 their first child is aged 5 and her mother's  maiden name is Anderson, registered 1855

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Louisa Maud - no I had not considered this but you have a point.  I suppose it might be possible.  This sounds like something worth looking into. :o

In 1851 Jane is living with her parents Alexander Anderson and Isabella.  They are living in Beggan? Lane, in Morpeth close to Newgate Street where Jacob is living.

I am very grateful for your post.  I think when I get time this is something worth chasing up.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a Jacob Miller who married a Jane Armstrong in the June quarter of 1861 is Wigton, Cumbria.

This Jacob's Father also called Jacob was from Wigton.  I wonder if this could possibly be them?  If so, I wonder why Jane is down as Armstrong?

Perhaps, I need to put a post on another board to see if anyone can look up the marriage.  Jacob was a tin smith.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
18th May 1861
Jacob Miller of Saltcoates and Miss Jane Armstrong of Moss Side Holme Cultram
this is the Carlisle marriage
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Jacob Millar Anderson, mother Campbell born Morpeth Unon 1849 is down in the 1861 census as cousin down in 1851 with his parents John and Mary Anderson,I am sure you have worked out the family connection
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Found it
Jacob Millar of Morpeth to Jane Anderson
at Lamberton
on the 9th inst
Newcastle Journal August 19th 1854

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:05 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is als in the Alnwick Mercury dated 1st September 1854

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  Radcliff this is amazing!  I was thinking that they hadn't married at all.  Thank you so much! :)

I wonder why they went all that way?

In 1841 there was a Jane Anderson in Morpeth with a family who I have mentioned on another post.  This family, I suspect, is the one who were tried for the Matfen murder in 1856 along with my Great x 2 Grandparents James and Elizabeth Conroy.  All were acquitted.
This 1841 family of Isabella, Jane, Eleanor/Ellen and Michael (Anderson's alias Allen) were all recorded as having been born in Morpeth.  However, with the exception of Ellen/Eleanor there does not appear to be any records.  I am sure I once read in a newspaper article of that time that this family were from the Scottish borders.  I suspect that Jane who married Jacob was connected with this family in some way.  Perhaps she may have been a cousin or a niece. The Andersons/Allen  family who were tried at Newcastle with my ancestors do not appear in the 1851 census. I wonder if this family may have a Lamberton connection?

I forgot to mention that the first person you mentioned - Jacob Millar Anderson - was, I believe, Jane's cousin, the nephew of her Father Alexander.  The Jacob she married was the son of Jacob and Ann Miller sometimes spelled Millar.  Jacob, Ann and family also lived in Morpeth with son Jacob in 1851. By 1855 Jacob and Jane were back in Morpeth for the baptism of their first child, Isabella  at St Robert, RC.  Isabella later went on to marry the brother (Thomas Conroy) of my Great Grandfather.  Jacob appears to have been an intermittent catholic, I might add, so I would not be surprised if they married in an Anglican Church.

A Jane Anderson was named as the Godmother of my Great Grandfather's brother James at his  baptism in early 1853 at the St Francis Xavier R C Church near Waterloo Cottages where the murder of Dorothy Bewick took place.

I have checked on-line for Lamberton and it seems to be in Berwickshire. I wonder if the marriage record may be at the Berwick record office?