Author Topic: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if their marriage will be in the archives I know Lamberton marriages were often recorded in the newspapers,there are records of some of the marriages surviving in Berwick archives,Lamberton was I suppose a little like Gretna,where people went off to marry in haste,perhaps there was a reason they went of to marry I checked Scotlands people it's not there in their database the laws in Scotland about registration were slightly different to Englands,quite interesting when you read up on  Lamberton Toll, well at least now you know they were in fact legally married,good luck with the rest of your research x
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if their marriage will be in the archives I know Lamberton marriages were often recorded in the newspapers,there are records of some of the marriages surviving in Berwick archives,Lamberton was I suppose a little like Gretna,where people went off to marry in haste,perhaps there was a reason they went of to marry I checked Scotlands people it's not there in their database the laws in Scotland about registration were slightly different to Englands,quite interesting when you read up on  Lamberton Toll, well at least now you know they were in fact legally married,good luck with the rest of your research x

Northumberland and Durham Family History Society published a book of Transcripts of Lamberton Toll marriages 1833-1849 and there is a copy at Northumberland Archives  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Morpeth Herald,13th October 1866
George aged 1,on the 9th inst,son of Jacob Millar,
-------------------------------------------------------------
Morpeth Herald,April 6th 1861
in this town on the 28th ult,aged 2 months,Alexander
son of Jacob Miller,
--------------------------------------------------------------
Morpeth Herald,November 10th 1866
aged 1 month,Robert Taylor,
son of Jacob Miller,
on the 3rd inst
---------------------------------------------------------------
Did they move down to Bedlington,?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hurrah!  I am so glad to hear that a record exists at Northumberland Archives.  I am working a lot of hours this week but I will now post a look up request. :D

I am not sure if they went to Bedlington.  I am not at home at the moment so do not have my records to hand. I know they had a surviving son called Alexander.  They probably did as I think Jane's family went there if I remember correctly, and then on to Amble.

Thank you so much both of you for your help.  This is marvellous.  I had reconciled myself that they just had not married but now not only do I discover that they did but there also appears to be some intrigue mixed in as well.

I wonder if the match was disapproved of by one set of parents?  The notices for the marriage seem to have been delayed.

I am in touch with a lady who is also researching this couple.  I think she is going to be thrilled when she learns that a marriage record has been found in the newspapers. :D  She too, had been searching for some time without success.

Many, many thanks :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh!  I have just realised that the Transcrpts you mention at the Northumberland Archives don't go up to 1854.  Oh well, never mind at least I know they did marry.

Perhaps I could request at look up at Berwick?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
No problem Tynelass,it's about time I came up trumps for you after all you have done for me ,

So with a Bedlington connection these may be worth filing away for a rainy day,
Morpeth Herald,Jan 1868
At Bedlington on the 25th Dec,the wife of Jacob Miller a daughter,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morpeth Herald,Saturday May 27th 1871
Jacob Miller,on the 16th inst, aged 70,a tinsmith
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morpeth Herald,November 22nd 1873
At Bedlington,lately the wife of John Anderson a son,in the same paragraph,the wife of Jacob Miller a daughter ,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
You're words are very kind Radcliff. :)

These additional notices are great!  When I return home I am going to add this information to my records when I work out which child they each likely relate to and I now have his Father's death date too.

After Jane died Jacob and their son Jacob placed a lovely memoriam for her in the paper in the form of a poem.  Both Jacob and Jane are buried at Earsdon Cemetery.  They lived out their last year's together at New York.  After, Jane's death Jacob must have gone to live at West Allotment I presume as his burial record gives his address as the 'Allotment.'

Thank you for finding the marriage when I had all but given up - and all these notices too!  Fantastic finds for my records. :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Possible births in conjunction with newspaper clippings
Phillis Miller mother Anderson,
D,1868,Morpeth,there is a death recorded in Morpeth for a Philliss aged 4,in 1872
~~~~~~~~------------
Phillis Miller,mother Anderson,
M,1873,Morpeth

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you accessed their grave in Earsdon,
Section E,grave number 2067
Michael Aged 37,10.6.1873
Sara,aged 16,18.2.1874
Jane,aged 65,27.2.1895
Jacob,aged 68,21.1.1900
section E is around the Memorial