Author Topic: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

It is a gloriously sunny 🌞 day on Tyneside so I decided to have another go at trying to find Jacob and Jane's memorial stone in the Earsdon  Church yard this afternoon.  I donned wellies just in case it might still be muddy but it wasn't too bad.  It was nice to see that the ground is now carpeted with snow drops in abundance and the daffodils are just starting to bloom.

I looked around for a while without success but then thanks to the kindness of strangers - two men came to my aid in this search - the grave stone was finally located! ;D

It is about a medium sized stone and has a lot of inscription on it.  From the writing it would appear that besides Michael Miller, Sarah Miller, Jacob and Jane Miller there is also an Isabella Campbell wife of John Campbell buried there in 1907.

The gravestone is to the right of a slightly gnarled tree and is slightly leaning over.

Would I be able to post the inscription on here for the benefit of others who may be researching this family too?  Or do you think there may be rules against this?

Thank you so much for your help Radcliff - I would not have known that they had a grave if not for you.  I am very appreciative of all your help, and for sending the map. ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

Just to let you know that I have also put a post on the Gravestones part of RootsChat with a photo of a six pointed star symbol which is at the top of the headstone.  I did this because I was intrigued about the possible meaning of this.

I have just had a very interesting reply  :D from 'sarah' regarding the meaning of this and she suggests that there may be a Masonic link too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789896.msg6459817

Best Wishes
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
so glad you were able to locate  the grave,x
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the work I know you have done at this Church in clearing the overgrowth, Radcliff.  The grave area is not at all as I remembered it from many years back when it was very overgrown.

You are one of those unsung heroes in having taken on this work. 

I am sure a lot of family historians like myself will have benefited from all your hard work.  This is very appreciated that I could easily see the long inscription yesterday without having to push back weeds. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 05 April 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
This post of mine is now duplicated:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791239.0;topicseen

Since finding the Millers' grave at Earsdon, I am now trying to find out more on other people who are named on their gravestone.  This is the inscription:

SACRED
TO THE MEMORY OF
MICHAEL MILLER
NEW YORK
THE BELOVED HUSBAND OF ISABELLA MILLER
WHO DIED JUNE 10TH 1873 AGED 37 YEARS
HERE RESTS A HUSBAND WHO WAS KIND
AND OF A TENDER LOVING MIND
HE LIVED A LIFE OF FAITHFUL LOVE
IN HOPE TO DWELL IN HEAVEN ABOVE
SARAH THE NIECE OF THE ABOVE MICHAEL
AND DAUGHTER OF JACOB AND JANE MILLER
WHO DIED FEB 10th? 1874
AGED 16 YEARS
THE ABOVE JANE DIED FEB 27 1895
AGED 63 YEARS
THE ABOVE JACOB MILLER DIED JAN 23 1900 AGED ? YEARS
ISABELLA CAMPBELL
BELOVED WIFE OF JOHN CAMPBELL OF NEW YORK
DIED DEC 26 1907 AGED 62 YEARS

I do believe Michael would have been Jacob's younger brother.  However, does anyone know anything concerning the Isabella who was his wife?  Also, does anyone have any idea who the mentioned John and Isabella Campbell may have been? I do think because they are mentioned on the grave stone they will be relations.

The information on the burial register records that Isabella Campbell's home address was Harbottle's Buildings, New York.

Her Evening Chronicle death (Friday, December 27, 1907) notice doesn't seem to yield any clues and she had no memoriam notice the year after death:

'CAMPBELL.- At New York, on the 26th, aged 62 years, Isabella, beloved wife of John Campbell, hawker.  Interment at Earsdon on Sunday 29th at 3 pm.  Friends please accept this intimation.'

I would really appreciate hearing from you if you may know more.  Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
I think I have found John and Isabella in Annitsford in a caravan in 1891.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 20 April 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
For anyone else who may be researching this Miller family - I have very recently discovered that someone has a website concerning these ancestors.  I have contacted the owner of the website and have been given permission to put the link to his website on here.   :)

His website is a work in progress.

http://www.gridlad.co.uk