Author Topic: looking for bapts. of children of William & Mary Chequers 1863 -1882 in Wilts  (Read 858 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
looking for bapts. of children of William & Mary Chequers 1863 -1882 in Wilts
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Can I get some help, please,  in finding the baptisms of the children of William & Mary Ann Chequer.
I have them in the various censuses 1871 thru to 1891 and in all cases they were born Cliffe Pypard;
they are;
Elizabeth aged 8    ]        (1871 cen.)
Francis       "    4     ]
Ann            "    1     ]

Frank         "    14         ]      (1881 cen)
Ann           "     12         ]
Louisa       "      6          ]
Edward      "     12 mths]

Frank         "     23     ]      (1891)
Louise        "     16     ]

I have looked thru the original registers on Ancy and did not find any baptisms entries in the registers for Cliffe Pypard, BroadTown, Lydiard Tregoze or Brinkworth.

On F/Search they have 2 baptisms in Brinkworth for George 24-3-1882 and Edward 12-7-1879 as sons of William & MaryAnn but they do not show in the original registers either.

So - where do F/Search get their info from?
Could it be they were not baptised at all, or is it that I haven't looked in the right places.

Any assistance most appreciated.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: looking for bapts. of children of William & Mary Chequers 1863 -1882 in Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Not every child was baptised but you also have to bear in mind that not every baptism has been transcibed and is available online

Transcriptions are dependant on volunteers

Have you looked on freebmd to confirm the actual year and qtr each child was born?  A child aged 8 in 1871 could have been born in 1862 or 1863 depending on their month of birth

RD was Cricklade for that period and you can use GRO online to search using mmn
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: looking for bapts. of children of William & Mary Chequers 1863 -1882 in Wilts
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
The Familysearch film number in the catalogue is for Brinkworth Weslyan Methodist chapel so would explain why you can't find them on Ancestry as they are only CofE.  Its worth checking on Familysearch in the catalogue for any film numbers on their search results to see which denomination it is as they simply put the place quite frequently.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 03:17 GMT (UK) »

I think "smudwhisk" has the answer in that they may have been Weslyan or Methodist baptisms.

As I said before, I looked in the orginal registers and none showed up.

I used FreeBMD and then the GRO search facility and found registered births for 7 of their children
all in the Cricklade RD. and all with mmn of Edmonds.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I think the baptisms may be available on the Genealogist site. The names, yob and county all match but it is a subscription site and I can't get the details.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi emeltom,

Thanks for your help. I don't have a "sub" with the Genealogist only with Anc..y unfortunately.

I was just trying to put more detail into my tree.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I think the baptisms may be available on the Genealogist site. The names, yob and county all match but it is a subscription site and I can't get the details.

Emeltom

I think you'll find that those are for the GRO BMD Index and not for baptisms.  The Genealogist have the same non-conformist registers as Ancestry because they originally had them exclusively but they mainly relate to pre 1837 from the National Archives.  The entries you refer to say subscribe to see "District, Quarter, Volume, Page and other details" which indicates they are the GRO index.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I stand corrected.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Emeltom, that's my reading of what's on the Genealogist website.  I may be wrong but what they've listed suggests I'm not unfortunately.

ribbo, Familysearch appear to have digitised the microfilm of the register (it has a DGS number as well as a microfilm number in the catalogue) but its not currently accessible even at one of their FHCs.  This is something that unfortunately is quite a common problem at the moment with the site.  Only a copy of the 1843-1877 register is available to view at an FHC.