Author Topic: Great grandad William simpson campbell  (Read 6321 times)

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great grandad William simpson campbell
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any connections to William simpson Campbell Born 1882 ,village of auldearn,nairn, scotland. His mother is down as Jessie Campbell, but we believe may be his grandmother. No father listed. He was apparently a corporal in seaforth highlanders but no evidence of this.(only written on marriage cert) Found records for a ws campbell in cameron highlanders though. Williams wife is down as Jessie Ann ross,(previous married name)  maiden name have as ratray morrison. Then she later became edgar. William and jessie were married in 1915 , at South street elgin. They had my grandad John ross campbell in 1920 but believe there may be brothers and sisters. (I don't get my grandad having ross as his middle name when it's from her first marriage🤔)  william was apparently in army,discharged and rejoined. There seemed to have been a complaint of deafness. Just looking for any connections to them
 Other address includes 174 high street Elgin,possibly 184. Thanks

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Great grandad William simpson campbell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family in 1891? If so Robert and Jessie list 3 daughters in the 1861 census so it could be possible one of them could be his mother, There is a daughter named Jessie Campbell born 1857.
1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Main Street, Auldearn, Nairn, Scotland

Robert   Campbell   Head   Married   Male   62   1829   Nairnshire, Scotland   General Labourer   
Jessie   Campbell   Wife   Married   Female   55   1836   Thurso, Caithness, Scotland   -   
William   Campbell   Son   Unmarried   Male   30   1861   Morayshire, Scotland   Rural Postman   
William Limbson   Campbell   Grandson   Unmarried   Male   8   1883   Nairnshire, Scotland   Scholar
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The WS Simpson who served first in the Camerons discharged unfit Sep 1916 served again in the Royal Field Artillery Sep 1917 to Feb 1918 and then compulsorily transferred to the Labour Corps until 11 May 1919 has in 1919, according to his records, two children William born 24 Jan 16 and Johanna McIntosh born 12 April 18.  He gives his date of marriage as 19 Mar 1915.  Living after discharge Shaws Close Nairn.  Wife Jessie Ann Rixon Campbell name recorded 1919.

Some additional names/places there if he is your man.  The outline of his army service and the deafness accord with this man's record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Lisarobinson87 I have no idea lol. We have a jessie Campbell on his birth cert ,but no father listed. He is down as being illegitimate.  Haven't seen the one where Jessie also has a daughter Jessie,can I ask where you found that one? I thought the other William mentioned was at first his father but if he's illegitimate I guess he's more likely to be the uncle then. Makes sense. I would need to look into that more but thank you.

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
MaxD the first question I need to ask you is where did you get the name rixon and wherever you saw it was it very clear? As in there's no mistaking that's what it is? Just we have several names for jessie. We have rathay or ratray and Morrison,possible maiden name. Then she was married we don't know if it's Reece,ross , rose or riso /risi  . A lot of debate about it. Then she married William so would have been Campbell then married someone with surname edgar. Because of this we struggling to find a birth and death for her anywhere. Thank you for the answers ,much appreciated .

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
From the Service and Casualty form attached which, although it is undated, is from 3 Dec 1918 (not 1919 as I said earlier ) as it records his compulsory transfer from the RFA as a Driver to the Labour Corps on that date.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
MaxD the first question I need to ask you is where did you get the name rixon and wherever you saw it was it very clear? As in there's no mistaking that's what it is? Just we have several names for jessie. We have rathay or ratray and Morrison,possible maiden name. Then she was married we don't know if it's Reece,ross , rose or riso /risi  . A lot of debate about it. Then she married William so would have been Campbell then married someone with surname edgar. Because of this we struggling to find a birth and death for her anywhere. Thank you for the answers ,much appreciated .

Have you a copy of the marriage between Jessie and William if not you can download it at Scotland's People Website it is indexed under Rose and Morrison it should give you her parents names and whether they are deceased or not it may also give you her first husbands name You may then be able to trace her family in the census Also just checked and your Grandad was registered as Rose as well

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
He gives his date of marriage as 19 Mar 1915.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Wendy2305 hi thank You,  now do you mean William,my great grandad ? John is my grandad and on his birth he is just under John Campbell. (Middle  name ross,though that's not on His marriage or birth cert) His mother on it says Jessie ratray maiden name morrison,father William simpson campbell.
Jessie and William  marriage is dated on it as 1916.
 But....on Jessie and William marriage cert it states  19 March 1915. So I'm not sure who you've seen under rose? I wonder as well because why would she give grandad middle name of ross if that belonged to her previous husband?  All strange lol . William and jessie marriage cert doesn't have her maiden name on the copy I have,just says Jessie ann and whatever last bit says.i will try get a pic of it and post it