Author Topic: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)  (Read 3916 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
Leo83, I have sent you a personal message.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
James M'Gechie of 16 Dronley Avenue also had a brief mention in the Dundee Evening Telegraph in September 1940. Unfortunately, he was involved, with other chaps, in a 'breach of the peace' at the local dance hall.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Slow news day :-)

Leo, msg me if you want access to Armstrong stuff.

James M'Gechie of 16 Dronley  also had a brief mention in the Dundee Evening Telegraph in September 1940. Unfortunately, he was involved, with other chaps, in a 'breach of the peace' at the local dance hall.
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Haha yes, I can quite imagine. From what I gather he was a well respected man in Lochee around the 40/50/60's

Csjjpm, yes, i will PM you.

Glad I found this via a google search, helps join some dots.

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Leo
 My only other bit of info on James is a marriage (1948) to Agnes Dowling who died in 1953
Paul
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
PM sent.

Many thanks to everyone for all the information posted in this thread so far.

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
The news article picture about James being wounded in WW2 with the Black watch was immediately recognizable with similarities to that of my Dad.

Amazing bit of luck I stumbled on this thread and put 2+2 together.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
It is indeed the son of William and Margaret Armstrong. He died on 29th July 1964 as you have said CSJJPM (The handwriting on the certificates are very hard to make out) - His death was in Ashludie Hospital, Monifieth (Angus) - He died from TB, although I can't quite make out cause of death on his certificate.

Leo, if you'd like some help with the handwriting you can attach the tricky bit to your next post - see 'Attachments and other options' just below the box where you type your reply.  Someone will know what it says!  (In fact, this happens so often that RootsChat has an entire board dedicated to deciphering handwriting, but as this is a relatively small item you might as well put it on this thread.)

One other thought - 'Phthysis' is an old medical term for TB - could that be what it says?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, all i can read is Cardio respiratory disease in box a. Box B and C I cant make out.

He definitely had TB though as by sheer coincidence my Gran from my other side (Before my Mum met my Dad) was a nurse at Ashludie hospital and looked after those with TB in the wards there. She always remembered Jim as he was called (James) for being the perfect gentleman. (James died before my Mum was even born to my Gran)

It then come up in discussion between my Mum, Dad and Gran from my Mums side that my Gran had actually looked after my Dads biological Dad (James) in the wards of Ashludie. Just to add, there wont be any children listed for James McGechie on any birth certificates as the 2 children he had with my Gran did not have his name in the father box due to the circumstances of the family at the time.

Thanks to the original poster, the path towards my Dads Fathers mothers side is a lot clearer (Margaret Armstrong hailing from Fermanagh) - I'm just doing a bit of digging to see what I can learn of the McGhechie's from Lochee now.

I've tracked back James's Dad William and then further back again to Francis McGhechie and then further back again to James and Catherine. I now need a rest but very interesting when you start digging around.