Author Topic: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)  (Read 3883 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
From Familysearch(British Newspaper Archives , family notices)
Obituary(probably death date ?)23rd April 1952 William McGechie , Dundee Angus , spouse Margaret Armstrong.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that matches with the Scotlandspeople death record for William.  I am going to buy some credits on that site now to review the certificate.

Thank you for your help.

From Familysearch(British Newspaper Archives , family notices)
Obituary(probably death date ?)23rd April 1952 William McGeachie , Dundee Angus , spouse Margaret Armstrong.

ev
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have come across this thread via a google search of trying to gather some information about a Jim McGechie. He was known as Jim but may be James.

He was from the Lochee area of Dundee and died around 1965, I believe from TB in Ashludie hospital. I believe he was in his late 30's, early 40's when he died which would give him a DOB around 1925.

I wonder if he is a son of William and Margaret McGechie? With Margaret emigrating from Ireland, opens up a whole new path.

I am new to researching family trees but any guidance or help on how I would find this information out would be appreciated. I have just registered on the Scotland's people website so will try there first.

Edit... I have now found a James McGechie who died in the Monifieth area (Fits in with dying in Ashludie Hospital of TB) in 1964.

I need to buy the certificate for £12 but before I do, what can I expect, is it a copy of his death certificate and will have his mother and fathers details on?

Leo

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 April 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Leo,
  they usually only have the 'informant' and their relationship, Address, DoB, place of birth, DoD and cause.
  Sorry
Paul
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 April 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
I have a James as son of William and Margaret (Armstrong)

Birth 30 OCT 1922 • Lochee,Dundee,Scotland
Death 29 JUL 1964

I didn't record the death location.  I am in contact with a relative of a cousin of his.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 April 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Leo,
  they usually only have the 'informant' and their relationship, Address, DoB, place of birth, DoD and cause.
  Sorry
Paul
A Scottish certificate should show names of both parents.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I have paid for the credits on Scotland's People and viewed the certificate of death.

It is indeed the son of William and Margaret Armstrong. He died on 29th July 1964 as you have said CSJJPM (The handwriting on the certificates are very hard to make out) - His death was in Ashludie Hospital, Monifieth (Angus) - He died from TB, although I can't quite make out cause of death on his certificate.

Very interesting, there is now an Irish element to the family.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
In the local newspaper death notices for Margaret (Armstrong) McGechie (1950) and William McGechie (1952), the address given was 16 Dronley Avenue.

The Dundee Courier of 10 November 1942 reported that Mr and Mrs William McGechie, 16 Dronley Avenue, Dundee, have been informed that their son, Pte. James McGechie, Black Watch, has been wounded in the Middle East.  Before enlisting two years ago he was employed in Camperdown Jute Works, Lochee.  Aged 20, he is a former pupil of St. John's Central School.  His elder brother, Frank, has been with the Royal Engineers in the Middle East for three years.

The report was accompanied by a small headshot photo of James.

There is also another newspaper item in 1949 reporting the marriage of another son (can pm detail if required).

Offline Leo83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that. Valuable information, I appreciate that.

Is it possible to send me the picture you have of James, that would be so helpful.

This stems from James having 2 children (1 of whom is my Dad, who has since passed and we are trying to form a better picture of where the biological path is)

Sheer pot luck that I found this thread as I wouldn’t have known anything of the Irish roots dating back to Margaret.