Author Topic: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)  (Read 3915 times)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
Hi,
  I'm looking for any information on the following people who emigrated from the Ballinamallard area of Fermanagh in the 1910/20s to Dundee:
Robert Armstrong 16 Oct 1890 - had a son in Ireland called George
Susan Armstrong 16 Aug 1896 - married a man John Houston
Maargaret Armstrong 12 Jul 1898 - may have married a man McGechie

I've searched for spouses on Ancestry and FreeBMD without success.  I've also tried Dundee newspaper archives.

Paul
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's the family in 1901 living in Salloon townland- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Ballinamallard/Salloon/1355082

Family has moved into Ballinamallard by 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Bellanamallard/Bellanamallard_Town/521071

Can't see a birth for George in Enniskillen district but perhaps he was born after 1916.

Scottish births, marriages and deaths, as well as 1911 Scottish census, on Scotland's People site (pay per view)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs who emigrated Fermanagh to Dundee in 1910s (Robert, Susan, Margaret)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes , you can search Scotlandspeople indexes for free once you register.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You'll need to pay for credits to download certificates but limits apply to what you can view online-
Births - 100 years
Marriages - 75 years
Deaths - 50 years

There is a death for a Susan Armstrong(other surname Houston) , age 61 , 1957 Dundee West , Angus.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Death for a Margaret Armstrong(other surname McGechie) , age 52 , 1950 Lochee(Dundee) Angus.

Marriage for a Margaret Armstrong / William McGechie , 1919 , Lochee(Dundee) Angus.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's the family in 1901 living in Salloon townland- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Ballinamallard/Salloon/1355082

Family has moved into Ballinamallard by 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Bellanamallard/Bellanamallard_Town/521071

Can't see a birth for George in Enniskillen district but perhaps he was born after 1916.

Scottish births, marriages and deaths, as well as 1911 Scottish census, on Scotland's People site (pay per view)

Thank you, I should have emphasised just information from Scotland as I had the census stuff already.  Thanks for the pointer to the Scottish site,  I wasn't aware of that one.  I'll check it out.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for both of these.  I'll look into this site.  One of the deaths is supposed to correspond with the wedding of their nephew Jim in NI who was to honeymoon with them in Scotland but unfortunately the Aunt passed.  Need to find out which one :-)

Yes , you can search Scotlandspeople indexes for free once you register.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You'll need to pay for credits to download certificates but limits apply to what you can view online-
Births - 100 years
Marriages - 75 years
Deaths - 50 years

There is a death for a Susan Armstrong(other surname Houston) , age 61 , 1957 Dundee West , Angus.

ev

Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Only downside to the birth searching is you cannot specify the mother's name or father's first name to narrow down the list.

I'd likely end up spending £12 on people who aren't born to the parents I want.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I should have emphasised just information from Scotland as I had the census stuff already.  Thanks for the pointer to the Scottish site,  I wasn't aware of that one.  I'll check it out.

Since you posted in The Common Room (rather than on a Scottish board) it wasn't clear exactly what you wanted (or indeed already had). The details I posted for reference give ages in census etc. and might assist in finding them in Scottish records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Only downside to the birth searching is you cannot specify the mother's name or father's first name to narrow down the list.

If the child of a couple died after 1973(in Scotland) then the mother's maiden surname should be on the death index , that might help identify possible births.

ev

Added -
Parents death certificates may be signed by a son or daughter.