Author Topic: I need some help. Please. Annie O'Brien  (Read 2581 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need some help. Please. Annie O'Brien
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi I don't know if I can do this.  But I'm  trying to find out about  a lady who married my  great grand  father. The year was 1908.
Her name is Annie O'Brien. She married my great grandad David Joseph shulman. .
I just want to know  as anyone  got any ideas  where I can find out more about her and where she passed away.

I'm in the middle of trying to fill in some big blank gaps. I don't  things like dob I know  she was born in India.
Please can anyone help me with this?

Thank you  again.  And I hope  that it was alwright  for me to post this on  here?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help. Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Where did they marry?  Have you got the marriage cert?

When/where did you last hear of her - and about how old was she then? that might help narrow down her death.  Did she outlive your great granddad? when and where did he die?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Annie O'Brien married David Joseph shulman  in Aberdeen  in 1908 she was 29 he was 27. I think  the address  says.157.west north Street Aberdeen.  I haven't got a marriage certificate.  Just a list of people who have been married.  It says  marriages in the district of st. ( looks like it says  Machar )in the burgh of Aberdeen 
David Joseph shulman  was a auctioner. He was born in England.

I really don't know anything else about  her. Only  her name.
My great grandfather David Joseph shulman passed away in 1921. And as far as I know  he's buried in blackley cemetery Manchester.  St joseph's cemetery mosten lane.

I hope this helps. Thank you again

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Death

JFM 1921 Chorlton
ref 8c 982
David J Shulman
age 39
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Possible remarriage for her - though very quick!

Apr/May/Jun 1921 Chorlton
ref 8c 1712
Annie Shulman to Bertram Johnson
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi  everyone.
Thank you for your help.  I never know where to start.  All I seem to be thinking  is alot of what if's.  So I thought  I'd ask for help.  I am really greatful for everyone's  help. 

The hardest thing for me to find out  is was my gran  adopted  or not. And if so when and who by.
My gran  eveline  never  told anyone about her background. Not even to my mum.  When my  mum  ever asked  anything.  My gran would  reply.  What do you want to know that for?  And children should be seen and not heard.
My mum always wanted to know about her mum. Which got me thinking.  So I decided to do it for her. But before I could get to know what I didn't know,  my mum passed away.  So I'm still  carrying on with this for my mum and myself. 

Thank you all again.  What ever  anyone finds  it's more help for me and helps me to try to make sense of things.
Thank you again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Starting a new topic looking for this information means that people are wasting time duplicating searches which have already been done for you. I think the previous topic has run to about 15 pages or so by now.

1911 census- (St. Machar) Aberdeen: Dav Jos Schulman, 29, reporter (newspaper), b. Manchester; wife Annie Schulman, 33, palmiste, Lucknow India; nephew Fred O’Brien, 5, school, b. Glasgow; adopted dau. Eva Barrett Schulman, 5, Aberdeen Aberdeen

Although there was no official adoption at the time children were often taken in to be looked after by relatives and friends. Since these arrangements were for the most part informal there will be no paperwork detailing the arrangement.
What the above census record does prove is that the child was born BEFORE 1 Apr.1911- in this case approximately 5 years before so circa 1906 or so (and not in 1911 or even 1910).

As for the parents- David Shulman (1883 Prestwich, Manchester-1921 Eng.) m.(14 Dec.1908 St. Machar, Scot.) Annie O’Brien (alive 1932). She m.(16 Apr.1921 Chorlton) Bertram Johnson (1892-1964).

The Shulman family has been very easily traced but Annie O'Brien's past is a bit more colourful, at least in the years from Eva's birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No, it doesn't prove that this particular child was born to give an age of 5.

One suggestion is that whoever completed the form wrote down "5" perhaps triggered because the previous child in the list was also "5".

Another suggestion is that the mother's name was Eva Hill (see other posts)
and there is a death of a female of the "appropriate" name, at the "appropriate" time, in the "appropriate" area.
[ Note I do NOT use the term "correct" ]

Another suggestion is that Eveline was "farmed out" to another adoptive family ( Hill) after DJS died, when Annie married again soon after his death.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).