Author Topic: E.V. PEACH - cricketer  (Read 2499 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: E.V. PEACH - cricketer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I might just do that, thanks.  An alternative could be to write an old fashioned letter to the Evening News and see what that brings.

I have just been looking through a bunch of downloaded old cricket match reports.  In an early one from 1937 I learned that our man used to play for Gorton. Coincidence....?

I WOULDN'T THINK SO Malcolm - born there - so Gorton would have to be one of his teams no matter what standard he achieved - most Sportsmen / women represent their home town at one stage or another ...David Platt Capt of England 1989 Born june 1966 and Mike Atherton Capt of England Cricket team 1989 born March 1968 were born 2 miles apart and 18 months in difference of age - both represented there local towns - Chadderton and Failsworth before becoming Professionals ...most do  :) :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I was in the local archives office yesterday, having a good look through the Peach family using Ancestry.com.  I found a lot of information, including a number of relations who were born in the 1950s and 1960s.  These are the people who might be able to help me and so I'll make it my business to contact one or more of them to see what they can tell me.

One thing, though: Ernest Victor Peach doesn't appear on the 1939 census (Find My Past, library edition).  I wonder if he joined the forces at the age of 42/43.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit of extra info that could be of interest -

Trade Union membership register -

E V Peach
Admission - 22 10 1927
Age   30
Occupation - Labourer
Trade - Railway Workers
Union name - National Union Of Railwaymen
Union branch - Gorton 2
County - Lancashire
Left Union - Sept 1928

JJ

Offline Oli19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ernest Peach was my Grandma’s uncle and she used to watch him play cricket.  :)

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Oli19,

Thanks for your reply.  It is exactly somebody like you that I hoped to contact.  Is it possible that you might have a photo of EVP that I would be able to use in my book on the history of Broadbottom Cricket Club, please?  I realise this is a long shot but, if you don't ask....

Is your grandma still with us and, if so, do you think I might be able to speak to her?

All the best,

Malcolm

Offline Dukeofthicktwist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 June 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm
My mum was a peach before she married.( oli19 ) is my daughter.
She spoke many times about going with her dad to watch her uncle play cricket. Sadly she passed away a few weeks ago. But if she was here she would be quite happy to regale you with some cricket tales.

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Duke,

Thank you for your reply.  What a shame that she isn't with us any longer, but you must have a fund of memories to lean on.  EVP must have been some player. He was only at Broadbottom CC for two seasons but took 130 odd wickets during that time before going on to Stalybridge.  I believe he was the best spin bowler we ever had.  In my book I'd like to to select an all-time best team from our players, which is why I was hoping I might be able to get hold of a photo of him.  Do you think this could be a possibility?

Malcolm

Offline Dukeofthicktwist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

Sadly mum never had any photos to show us of her family.  All mums uncles and her dad and grandad worked on the railway and her grandad and uncle played for the railway cricket team. Her dad wasn’t any good at cricket ( her words ) so he used to do the books and when there was a game mum used to help him on the scoreboard.
If you contact the railway archives they might have some cricket team photos.

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Duke,

It's a pity about the photos but you have given me some good leads about looking elsewhere.  If I find anything I'll let you know.  I don't hold out a great deal of hope, but you never know.

Thank you again,

Malcolm