Author Topic: St. Bartholomew's Hospital  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Bartholomew's Hospital
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information from the admission registers of this hospital.  I contacted their archives and was invited to come in and have a look - but as I live in Australia, that's a bit tricky.  They advised me the record would probably be limited to admission date, departure date and ward number and gave me a link to independent researchers - which is something I will follow up if other avenues fail. I am hoping there is someone in proximity who is willing and able to have a look on my behalf please.  The patient's name was Henry MOIR (Snr).  In February, 1825 he refer to his being hospitalised during the trial of his son (Henry MOIR) in mid-December, 1824. I have no idea of the duration of his stay.  I have attached the petition which might be of interest.    J.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: St. Bartholomew's Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
If they've got the full records they should be able to let you have a copy (even if they charge you) as it must be at least 100 years since Henry Moir died, if he was a patient in 1825, unless you meant 1925.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
If they've got the full records they should be able to let you have a copy

Barts Archives don't offer a research service as such. Anyone helping out will need to make an appointment in advance of visiting.

https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/st-bartholomews-museum-and-archives

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
That's unfortunate then, Jaznjjj will have to hope there is a kind Rootschatter in the area who might be able to copy the records for them.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, confirming it was 1825 .  They indicated they would not be able to do a lookup themselves.  I did offer to do some indexing in exchange but this was not taken up.  It seems like potentially a very valuable resource for anyone with ancestors in London. 

Thank you for responses.   J

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest I've just read the letter, the young person was sentenced to deportation for pick-pocketing a handkerchief.  ::)  I guess this wasn't a first offence, as my g.g.aunt was deported for stealing loads of stuff and in her case it was a 2nd offence.  I wonder if his father's petition worked and he was allowed to stay in the UK, or Jaznjjj are you a descendant of the young person and he was deported?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
He was acquitted of a similar offense the previous year.  No, the petition did not work. I would say there could have been earlier unwritten history of getting into trouble and that may have influenced things. He was blind of one eye and tattooed so might have been a scrapper.  The father's petition suggests he was not an innocent. He was in the hulks for a considerable time before being transported to the colony of New South Wales and while on the hulks did not receive glowing reports.  He spent time on a road gang in NSW and that is probably a fair indicator of his character as road gangs were usually made up of incorrigibles and those not suitable for assignment.  He did eventually get his Certificate of Freedom and made what appears to have been a good life for himself.  My daughter (and others) are his descendants.  J   

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting.  I don't know what my ancestor did when she was on Van Diemens Land, I know she married a pardoned convict - who became a policeman  ::)  She had 2 children in England which she left behind, in fact one died a few days after her ship sailed for Van Diemens, so she probably never knew about that.  She went on to have 9 more children with her new husband, giving some of them the names of her siblings.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, would you like some help with this?  Can't guarantee anything but have done some VDL research.   I would recommend reading (if you have not already done so) The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtney and perhaps also the other two books in the trilogy, which give good insight into conditions in VDL.  J