Author Topic: St. Bartholomew's Hospital  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Bartholomew's Hospital
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Another question please.  I have found the location of Queen's Row, London, on an 18th century map very near (south of) the Queen's Palace.  It looks like Queen's Row was located at or near where the Royal Mews are now.  There is a modern-day Queen's Row near Camberwell Road.  I would appreciate some guidance please to find out more about the historic Queen's Row, particularly in the early 19th century.  J

Am I better off starting off a new thread for this question?   

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I imagine a separate thread would be better. Perhaps with the map to get precise information? 
And by "the Queen's Palace" do you mean what is now called Buckingham Palace, or a different building?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Yes, I'll post on a new thread.  It is Buckingham Palace but I was going by the label on the old map.   J

Offline Oxtonite62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, no I didn’t know that....thank you. I will definitely claim my badge!!

Oh fantastic. Well done the Rootschatters.

Linda, please do let us know how you get on with the research, and with claiming your badge.

I spent a few very interesting hours at Barts archives and museum last week.  Managed to find the information for Jaznjjj which unfortunately was quite basic i.e. ward name, consultant, date of admission, and date of discharge.  They allow photographs of entries to be taken but charge £10 or alternatively they allow you to make your own notes using pencil only.

I also found a number of entries that could well have been for my ancestors, although no actual proof that they were in hospital at that particular time.

If anyone is in the area the museum is definitely worth a visit, quite small but loads of interesting facts and artefacts to view. 

A huge thanks to Jaznjjj for highlighting the museum's existence on here as I wouldn't have known about it - even though I grew up in that area of London!

Unfortunately none of the staff I spoke to knew anything about claiming a 'I was born in Bart's' badge.  It may be, if it was some years ago it was just a one off.  One lady said she would investigate and let me know via email.

Linda

Cash, Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch, London
Jones, Carmarthenshire?, Whitechapel, London
Sullivan, Cork or Kerry, Whitechapel, London
Flint - Shillington (Beds), St. Albans, Shoreditch, London.
Haslam - Marylebone, London (formerly Limerick, Ireland)
Nolan - Tipperary, Ireland
Walter - Somerset, England
Gunningham - Bristol, England
Fountain (possibly Huguenot descent) - Cross, Somerset
Gedmatch Id: T041555
Paternal Uncle (Cash Family) Gedmatch Id: T193819

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the  update Linda.... disappointing it seems the badge be may apocryphal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Linda shared her findings with me via personal message so this is a public thank you.  Even little fragments of information help.  In 1824 Henry Snr was admitted to St. Bart's a month before his son's trial - Henry Snr was discharged a month after the trial and he petitioned for clemency for his son a few weeks later in 1825. Another Rootschat correspondent found a record of Henry Snr's insolvency earlier in 1824 so it sounds like all was not rosy financially.  I now have some leads to follow up thanks to all the help on this and another Rootschat thread!    J :)

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm surprised the museum had no idea about the badges.(Lapel pins)
 Google the Bart's Guild shop  they have an E mail address.It's run by volunteers they will give you the details.

Offline Oxtonite62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm surprised the museum had no idea about the badges.(Lapel pins)
 Google the Bart's Guild shop  they have an E mail address.It's run by volunteers they will give you the details.

Thanks magnacarta, yes I too was surprised the staff didn’t know anything about it.  I’ll send and email to the Bart’s Guild shop.
Cash, Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch, London
Jones, Carmarthenshire?, Whitechapel, London
Sullivan, Cork or Kerry, Whitechapel, London
Flint - Shillington (Beds), St. Albans, Shoreditch, London.
Haslam - Marylebone, London (formerly Limerick, Ireland)
Nolan - Tipperary, Ireland
Walter - Somerset, England
Gunningham - Bristol, England
Fountain (possibly Huguenot descent) - Cross, Somerset
Gedmatch Id: T041555
Paternal Uncle (Cash Family) Gedmatch Id: T193819

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Did you get your Born in St Barts pin? I popped into the Guild shop yesterday and they have forms to fill in, asking your name and date of birth. The cost is two pounds fifty and money goes into a fund for provision of facilities for cancer patients at Bart's.