Author Topic: Birth of Henry Hamilton, July 29, 1829, Drumards, Co. Tyrone  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Birth of Henry Hamilton, July 29, 1829, Drumards, Co. Tyrone
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Henry Hamilton became a coal company owner in Ohio and Pennsylvania, USA. He died Feb 24, 1891,  in Sharon, Mercer Co., Pennsylvania although his permanent residence was Brookfield Township,  Ohio. An article about him says that he was born July 29, 1829 in Drumards, Co. Tyrone. I  am looking for the names of his parents, and possible  sisters Margaret Jane born in 1826 and Ann born 1832. They were all living in Brookfield so likely siblings. I know Margaret Jane and Ann were siblings but don't know for sure about Henry.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Henry Hamilton, July 29, 1829, Drumards, Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Coalisland Co Tyrone might be where he got his idea from see http://magoo.com/hugh/tyronecoal.html
 finding the right Drumards might be difficule eg
Drumard is in the Civil Parish of Tullyniskan
Drumard (Druim Ard) is a townland in Derryloran (Upper Dungannon portion) Civil Parish
and see below

1796 flax growers of Ireland in Co tyrone has 63 entries for Hamilton see
http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/tyrone.php

from Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,
The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast

Hamilton, Patrick-T: Drumardnagross Y: 1826-Kilskeery-Tyrone
Hamilton, Samuel-T: Drumard Y: 1826-Derryloran-Derry & Tyrone

from http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Griffith in 1860 a james Hamilton has map ref 5;6 in Drumard Glebe   Killyman
Griffith in 1860 a james Hamilton has map ref 14 for Bogbane killyman co tyrone

church record guide is available for downloading from PRONI sorry cant help further
hope others join in
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
This positively boggles my mind. thank you for your help. I ordered the probate papers for Henry Hamilton over 6 weeks ago from the Trumbull Co. Probate Court in Ohio. When I didn't receive them (they were paid for), I called and the papers were resent over 2 weeks ago. I don't know if they will help me but hoping they will.
I also asked for his death certificate from Pennsylvania but have had no response in that regard. Although I am positive in my own mind that Henry, Margaret Jane, and Ann were siblings, I need to prove it. The probate papers might help with that. However, that still doesn't prove his/their parentage. In Ann's probate papers, she states that Margaret Jane is her sister. She also names a niece Jane Hamilton living in Brookfield and the only Jane that I can find is Henry's daughter.
thanks for the links you have sent.
Peggy

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Drumads is a townland in the Parish of Ardboe. A family of Hamiltons lived there in the 1850s.  Parents John Hamilton married a Catherine O Brien children were Robert b 1854, Henry b 1857, Charles b 1861 and Sarah b 1863. Griffiths Valuations 1859 give a Sarah Hamilton in possession of 6 acres,  John Hamilton 3 acres and a Henry Hamilton 43 acres. Its possible that your Henry could be a son of this John or Henry . Drumad or Drumads in the Griffiths Valuations is given in the Parish of Tamlaght which is the village of Coagh and its surroundings

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this wonderful information. I think you are probably right on in the correct area. I will follow up best I can.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Going by ages, my Henry Hamilton could be a brother to John Hamilton who is married to Catherine O'Brien. Although John named his first son Robert and my Henry named his first son Frederick J. Do you know the parents of John Hamilton?
My Henry has a possible sister Margaret Jane born 1826 who names her second son John Hamilton Caulfield, so if following the naming pattern, her father should be John Hamilton, possibly a father to John Hamilton who married Catherine O'Brien as well as father to my Henry. Somewhere, I found info that my Henry had parents Richard Hamilton and Helen Donaldson but I am not believing it. I am not able to get a death certificate for either my Henry or for Margaret Jane.
Thanks for any help.

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 August 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Kilsally and Drumads are adjoining townlands I have searched another townland called Drumard but there are no Hamiltons ever named in that townland so your Hamiltons must be from Drumads unless there is another Drumads somewhere else From memory when checking I think I saw a Alexander Hamilton in Kilsally The Valuation books are easily searched .The only other complication is religion The John Hamilton who married Catherine O Brien was in the Catholic Register of Ardboe Parish but he could have Protestant ie mixed marriage so you would need to check the Church of Ireland records to see if there are any Hamiltons registered there

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
 Thank you so much niccorr.   I bet it is Drumads.  That makes a lot of sense with my new discovery of Caulfields in Kilsally.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 04:36 GMT (UK) »
I have searched extensively for the marriage of John Hamilton to Catherine O'Brien but I cannot find it. Would it be possible for you to tell me the date and place of the marriage and the fathers of each of them? Guessing it was abt 1853-1854.
I have found that a Robert Hamilton married to Margaret Mallon is associated with the family although I don't know if there is a connection of Robert Hamilton to Henry Hamilton whose parents that I was looking for. Robert was born abt 1821 which is close to Henry's date of birth in 1829. Robert's daughter Alice married Joseph Duffin in 1891 in the RC chapel in Stewartstown and they lived in Kilsally. Joseph's father Patrick Duffin had a cousin Joseph Duffin who also lived in Kilsally who married Mary Caulfield in 1822 in Coalisland and they emigrated to Ohio in 1850.
Henry Hamilton's firstborn son Frederick  J. named his first son John Caulfield Hamilton so have to wonder if there is some kind of connection there.
Henry was not Catholic in Ohio but maybe he was in Ireland. James and Patrick and Joseph Duffin were all Catholic as was Robert Hamilton.
Another tree that I  found for Henry said his parents were Richard Hamilton and Helen Donaldson but I  am skeptical as there are no  Richards in any of Henry's descendants.
Thanks for any more help
Peggy