Author Topic: Ainsworth of Witton and Pleasington Lancashire 1600s  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ainsworth of Witton and Pleasington Lancashire 1600s
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I’m researching a potential Ainsworth family line and have become stuck and wondered if any one out there has these Ainsworth’s in their tree.

Richard Ainsworth of Witton married Alice Ainsworth of Pleasington married St Mary’s Blackburn 1711.

I believe Richard was a Tailor.

I’ve tried searching for births for both around 1670s-1690 but can’t pin either down to these places.

I did find a Richard (potential father) of Witton on other baptisms but no Richard that is definitely Witton.

It would also be great if I could link Alice to the well known Ainsworth’s of Pleasington.

The line of Ainsworth’s I’m trying to link with were in Blackburn in the 1700s and 1800s, and appear to have worked as tailors.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Ainsworth of Witton and Pleasington Lancashire 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
within the same church
St Mary the Virgin Blackburn

Allis Ainsworth,daughter of James
abode Blackburn
baptised 24th October 1681
----------------------------------------
Alise Ainsworth,daughter of Thomas
abode Lower Darwen,
August 1688
----------------------------------------
Note there is  a  John Ainsworth in Witton he's an innkeeper  in the early 1700
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Ainsworth is a very common name in the Blackburn area - I have some in my own family, most (but not all) of whom were Catholic, so look at the records of the RC churches in the area (from late 1700s onwards). If they were RC, then you may not find records of baptisms much earlier than that.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
also look at wills for the Ainsworths in the area time consumming reading but you may strike lucky,there is a link in Lancashire  resources

is that your Alice's burial 12th Jan 1735/36 wife of Richard abode Tockholes
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if they have a family naming pattern
Mary 1720/21 ?
William 1724,father Richard mother Alice abode is Blackburn
Robert 1729
John 1731,father Richard mother Alice
John 1732,
Richard 1733

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff and Antony,

Thank you for your input.I really appreciate it!
I think I’m going to have to trawl through all the BMDs for this period and try to find a link.
As you said, there are so many Ainsworth’s in this area, it can be a bit of a nightmare.Especially with so many names repeated.I hadn’t noticed the Richard and Alice of Tockholes. I’ll have to look into that.
I’d hoped someone might have one of these people in the tree, which would make life easier but it looks like I’ll just have to do it the usual way!
Thanks again for your help