Author Topic: Birth/Family Records - COLLINS (Patrick)  (Read 2411 times)

Offline coreymcollins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Family Records - COLLINS (Patrick)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit of an update here.  I wasn't able to find much in the way of documents, but I was able to get in contact with one of my great-uncles to fill in a lot of blanks.

Patrick Collins was born January 28, 1862 in Peterswell, County Galway, Ireland. His parents were Patrick and Mary Goatley Collins.

He married Josephine Ettlemeyer at St. Ceclias Catholic Church Fonda on May 10, 1893. Rev. Father Dolan preformed the wedding ceremony.

Josephine died 13 years before Patrick. Patrick died in bed while taking a mid morning nap and was discovered by his son Henry at noon on a Saturday. There was no indication of poor health and it was believed he died in his sleep from a heart attack.

Patrick and Josephine had several children of which some died prior to child birth or shortly after. The children who survived were Joe, William, John, Henry and Emma. He had two brothers Michael Collins, Chicago Ill. and Owen Collins, Ireland, and two sisters Delia Collins, Ireland and Nellie Collins, Fonda.

His information confirms a lot of what I already had - birth years, death years, wedding years, and the children they had who survived.  This also sheds light on the census where Josephine noted having 9 children, 5 of whom were living.

Time to do some more digging!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:21 GMT (UK) »

... Patrick Collins was born January 28, 1862 in Peterswell, County Galway, Ireland. His parents were Patrick and Mary Goatley Collins ...

I think that's incorrect.

If you look at the following Peterswell RC parish register entry of 1862, you will see that the parents of Patrick Collins, baptised on 30 January with a birth date given as 28 January, were Patrick Collins and Margaret Ruan(?) of Kilderry (2nd entry up from bottom):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634187#page/28/mode/1up

Someone called Mary Goatly was one of the sponsors, along with Michael Collins.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Given where the following birth was registered, this may be Patrick's brother - Martin Collins born 1864, parents given as Patrick Collins and Margaret Ruane:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03592/2324355.pdf

The names involved are very common, however 'Kilderry' in the church register I previously posted might mean the townland of Keelderry in the civil parish of Kilthomas (fits well in the context of the Peterswell RC parish), very close by in the same civil parish of Kilthomas is a townland called Knockoura, which may be the address in the above birth registration.

Added:  Here (below) is the baptismal entry, the address looks like Keelderry, Margaret's surname - after the more doubtful rendering in Patrick's 1862 baptismal entry - is most definitely Ruane (bottom of page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634187#page/36/mode/1up

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »