Author Topic: a TABLET/Family Tree  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
a TABLET/Family Tree
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »

Needing some Tech help please.
I'm looking at getting a Tablet [ android ] on which I can load my tree onto it for times when away from home.

What Family Tree programs [ apps ] would suit, I don't need anything fancy and the more basic the better.. I do not want to put my tree online.
And....how would I go about loading my tree onto the Tablet.

Many Thanks
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: a TABLET/Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Do you want something purely that you can read, or do you want to be able to update your data on the tablet?

I use FamilyGTG. It's a bit limited but it's a useful assistant. Another thing to consider is generating any reports that your desktop computer program provides and carry those on your tablet. The one that I use even allows you to generate a browser website, which I use offline on the tablet.  It has lots of functionality but is purely on the tablet and requires no internet connectivity.

Martin

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I use GedStar Pro .  No charge and works on Android. You transfer a GED file from your PC software to the tablet. It gives you read-only access to family tree, relationships, dates etc .... Just the thing to take with you on a research trip.  I have it on my tablet and phone.

But, NO UPDATING of info - you have to do that back on PC or Internet.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all,

I'm wanting to be able to view my family tree..while I'm out and about.
Mart"n" Al..Greenrig..Gadget.thanks for that..I'll take a look
...so when you need to update..do you have to delete..then re add?

Thanks
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I only know Gedstar Pro.  For that you add your updates on the PC (or website), produce a fresh GED file and upload it to the tablet.  Personally, I only do this every few months, not for every update.  But it's a quick & easy process and being on my phone it means the tree is always with me.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
sounds good...as I may go months with out using the Tablet..
Thanks for all
Yonks

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: a TABLET/Family Tree/COMPLETE
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I use Family GTG too.
As Martin said it can be a bit limited. A word of warning if you do try it, if you want to see any photos, and/or census, etc. jpegs that you have in your tree you need to download the media file as well as the GEDCOM before you import the GEDCOM into FamilyGTG, it will automatically attach them, so it claims. I haven't done it, so cannot verify how successful it is.
It allows you to enter data and it keeps track of any changes you make, so those changes are easy to find and transcribe to your PC program. I find typing on the on-screen keyboard a bit slow, but that may just be me.
Try it, there is a free trial version that allows you to import one tree so you can play with it. If you don't like it just uninstall it and try something else.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.