Author Topic: Records office Sudbury or Bury ?  (Read 648 times)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
Records office Sudbury or Bury ?
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
In april of this year, I will be travelling over to England and am planning to visit either, Sudbury or Bury records office (for the first time).
My main question is which of these can I best visit ?
My main aim is to look for births, baptisms, marriages and deaths from the All saints and st Gregory's, Sudbury, registers from 1725 onwards.  (hopefully to obtain digital or paper copies)

I would very much appreciete any advice and/or tips.
Kind regards
Pete
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records office Sudbury or Bury ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know there was anything at Sudbury

The website lists offices at Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, and Lowestoft

http://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/planning-your-visit/suffolk-record-office-branches/

and suggests you phone to check which one you need.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Suffolk for quite a few years :)

Historically it was divided into East Suffolk (county town - Ipswich) and West Suffolk (county town - Bury St Edmunds).  Lowestoft completes the triangle and is on the coast, near the Norfolk border.

Sudbury would come under West Suffolk so Bury St Edmunds would probably have what you want.  It's a lovely area to visit anyway ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Lowestoft Record Office has either closed already or is in the process of being closed.  There has been recent press about this as hasn't gone down very well with the residents of Lowestoft.

While the originals of Sudbury Parish Registers will be held at Bury RO, Ipswich will have copies on microfilm or microfiche too and its very unlikely that you would be allowed to see the originals unless they are very poor to read.  So you should be able to visit either to view the microfilms or microfiche and should be able to still print off any copies.  I've not been to Bury RO for some years but I'd assume they still have a microfilm reader printer for this.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day