Author Topic: Look up help request for James Skewis, Skewes, Gwennap possibly  (Read 927 times)

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up help request for James Skewis, Skewes, Gwennap possibly
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I've had some great help from people on Henry Skewes, James's son, but I'm now stuck on James.  I think he was married to Susanna(h) Thomas and lived in Bell, Gwennap until 1829 when he appears to be buried aged 56. I think therefore that he was born roughly around 1773.
 (Does anyone know where Bell would be?).  I think he is the correct one as a Susanna was recorded in the 1841 census as living in Belle, Gwennap with a couple of young female mine workers.    It is further complicated in that I've found a baptism record for Susanna of 1768 in Stithians but the 1841 census has her dob as 1776 so possibly the original Susanna died and her parents had another later daughter they re-named Susanna?  - or the census is just wrong!   I have a number of choices for James's birth, all in the area roughly so could have easily migrated to Gwennap for work (they married in Wendron, and she was born in Stithians).  I have - one christened in Kenwyn in May 1767, one St Ewe July 1760, one in Gwithian in december 1778, one in Mawgan in Meneage May 1762 and also in June 1777 and one in Camborne September 1762 , one Camborne June 1763, and one in December 1779 - this last is possibly the best one as the record says born 1774 and christened December 1779. The father is James (again) and the mother is Charity.  I have found records of other children as possibilities for siblings of his with name Charity belonging to parents James and Charity, and I think he called one of his daughters Charity.   Does anyone have any thoughts on my conundrum?  Many thanks. ::)
Cornwall: Skewes, Martin, Martyn, Dunstan
Scotland: Lightbody, Graham, Knox
England: Lello, Daniel

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up help request for James Skewis, Skewes, Gwennap possibly
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
marriage from 1799 for James & Susanna shows witnesses of Edward & George Thomas

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lix/

Burial of Susannah 6 April 1848 residence Carnmarth gives age of 80, so 1768 baptism looks ok.
Ages on the 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 for adults.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey,  Would it be reasonable that he might marry someone a little older than him - 5 years?  I have had that happen with other marriages.  Perhaps before universal literacy people weren't so fussy about ages?  I can check the 1760s Jameses in all the parishes I suppose against deaths before adulthood.  It's frustrating that there are no censuses before 1840 as they are great ways of checking you've got the correct person.  I got the Skues book and the James I like is in there, but no apparent linking to a marriage with Susanna, but I've yet to look at it properly, I just skimmed through it last night to see if it would miraculously enlighten me.  I don't want to get the wrong ancestor if I can help it.  :-[

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
sorry, I don't see a link between being able to write your name and ages of spouses. Someone signing with a mark may have learnt to read, just not to sign their name. They might not have had the chance to learn if their family could not afford.
Susanna may have been older than James, it's not unusual.

The 5 year old being baptised in Camborne is tempting, but there is James Skewes marrying in Camborne in 1789.

It might be worth trying to trace each of your candidates, marrying them off and finding children to check for family names.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think you're right.  I hadn't thought of them being able to read but not write/sign their name.  What a gift universal free education is!  Looks as if I have a lot of work to do then.  If anyone has any other candidates they find then please let me know so I can check them out too.  Phew..... ;D