Author Topic: Location of Gt Gt Grandparents Graves, Where are they?  (Read 925 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Location of Gt Gt Grandparents Graves, Where are they?
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Having real trouble trying to track down where my gt gt grandparents are buried. Have met with no success at all!

Robert Phillips (1846-1932) & Fanny Phillips (Nee' King) (1840-1907) were living at 37, Exeter Road, Croydon at the time of their deaths. Robert was a Bricklayer/Builder by trade.

I have been unable find a thing online using deceased online & the Surrey records on Ancestry.

Presumably their living in Croydon would mean their burials taking place there, or am I wrong?

Can anyone help to find their last resting places please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Gt Gt Grandparents Graves, Where are they?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I don't think LB of Croydon are working with Deceased Online.

The 2 municipal cemeteries are

Queen’s Road Cemetery opened in 1861

Mitcham Road Cemetery opened in 1897

If you have their exact dates of death, contact Bereavement Services at the council and ask if they have their records and which cemetery.

https://www.croydon.gov.uk/community/births-deaths-marriage/deaths/cemetery

Looking at a map, Queens Road is nearest but they might have had a preference for the other.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawnsh,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

My thanks also for the link, I will as you suggest contact the Bereavement Services of the local council.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

In a column titled "A Week's Croydon Burials" - I found this, is this your Gt Gt Grandmother ? I'm a bit puzzled though, the ages differ by a good few years.

The article was in the  Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette 27 April 1907

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Many thanks indeed for that, much appreciated.

That is indeed my gt gt grandmother, fantastic!

As regards the age difference she consistently knocked 6 or 7 years off her age on censuses! ::) Presumably so as not to appear older than her husband, which she was by 6 years.

Exeter Road was within the ecclesiastical parish of St James as appears in the article.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

You're welcome. Glad to be of some help.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

There are only the two main cemeteries in Croydon, as Dawn said - the main one is Mitcham Road, locally referred to as Croydon Crem and Queen's Road. Queen's Road is no longer used unless you have a family grave there.   

As suggested, contact the bereavement office as they are very helpful. They found my grandfather in Queen's Road and also told me he was in the same grave as his mother. Recently they helped someone else on here to locate a grave.

The email I used was  bereavementatcroydon.gov.uk  ( replace the at with @ )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Many thanks for the info re the Croydon Cemeteries & the email address, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David