Author Topic: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925
« on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of a photograph that was possibly taken in a back garden.  I do not know the date of the photo but it was taken prior to 1925, possibly in the early 1920s? Two ancestors are seated; they could be ages 50-60.  Their five adult children are standing behind them.

After looking at the photograph again, I noticed that the mother has only one shoe showing.  The hem of her dress falls to possibly just below her ankle.  Not having viewed a lot of photographs before, did subjects commonly cross one foot behind the other, or did most people generally sit with both feet on the ground?

The reason for the question is that this lady's daughter had diabetes and eventually lost her leg.  I am wondering if possibly the mother could have had the same problem?  Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I think that you may have forgotten to attach your image

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah: I don't have a good camera (cell phone) to take a photograph so I didn't attach an image.  The quality of the photo isn't good, but at least it will give readers an idea of how she is posed.  Note: it was only after I zoomed in on her that I noticed how much she is leaning to the side.  Thank you for suggesting that I attach the image.  :)  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I'd say that she had lost her foot/leg. Poor lady.

Have lightened the foot area.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

Thank you for lightening the foot area; that is much better.  It does appear that it could be more than her crossing her foot behind the other.  Thank you for your help, Gadget.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking at it again, I see the thighs as symmetrical and then the leg area below the knees is different on each side.. The skirt on that side looks as if it's been arranged as well.   She looks quite sad too.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I have four photographs that include Dora.  In three of them, to me, she looks very sad.  While my grandfather loved to talk about his father's family, nothing was ever mentioned (that I know of) about Dora's side of the family. Before I started researching, I didn't even know that she had siblings.  (My grandfather passed away when I was quite young, so I never heard the stories.)  Even though she doesn't appear to show it, I hope she had a good life.  :-\  Thank you for your interest and help, Gadget.  :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
One thing that surprises me with regards to the setting up of the photograph. It is obvious that the dress has been placed in a way to lessen the obvious, ie the missing part of the right leg. So why not put the right hand shoe in a position where the toe and perhaps the instep would show to balance the phtograph. Shoes normaly come in pairs, so one would think that it would/should have been available.

Malky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think of that, Malky.  That would make sense.  Perhaps "everyone" knew about her leg and they just didn't think about future generations looking at the photo?  You did raise a good point; thank you for mentioning it.