Author Topic: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
The chair looks oddly positioned as if on uneven ground and it would appear that she has put her left leg further forward to steady herself and the daughter is helping to steady the chair...to balance the photo, the other daughter has adopted a similar stance.
Given what I have read about early photography, I believe that a good photographer would have made attempts to disguise the fact that she was missing her right foot.
The humour really made me smile  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Is that her foot under the other chair  ??? ??? ??? ;D

Malky

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 February 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Is that her foot under the other chair  ??? ??? ??? ;D

Malky

Wow Malky, I do believe you have found it!  ;D ;D ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 February 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest, your great detective work and the laughter that it has brought.  After reading all of your comments, it appears that she may not have lost a foot after all.  It appears that she had four feet (as well as her own two feet she also had a couple under the other chair and near the photographer).

I phoned my mum last night.  She is quite elderly and while she has a terrific memory, she cannot recall anyone on my father's side having lost a foot.  I know someone did as my father mentioned it and my mum used to be concerned about diabetes being passed down to my brother and me.

I am leaving momentarily, but as soon as I return I will try shining a light on the photo to see if I can see any clues.  I wish I had the original photograph; I don't even know where it is.

Thank you all again.  You've all brightened my day.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Giggsy wins the prize for the best guess about Dora's missing foot and why Dora appears sad.  Good news - I found Dora's ankle, foot and shoe in a later photograph.

Several years ago, my aunt sent me copies of old family photographs.  I ran across them tonight when I was looking for an unrelated photograph.  I knew I had photographs of Dora's adult children; I didn't realize some of the photographs included Dora as well!

While Dora did a good job of hiding her feet in several of the photographs (standing in a field of tallish grass, photo taken of the group from the ankles up, etc.) I did find a photograph that clearly shows that she had two ankles and two feet and hence, two shoes.  I'm attaching a poor quality picture (it is too dark in the house to properly light the photo).

Note:  I am assuming (for various reasons) the photo below was taken after the photo I first posted.  Thank you all again for your time, contributions and humour. I really appreciate everyone's input.

PS  I am thrilled I noticed Dora in the photos as in a couple of the photos she is smiling -- she looks like she was a sweet lady.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hate to spoil a good story, Lisa, but when you zoom in you can clearly see that the mark about knee height is not damage to the photo but a tear in her skirt made by a rough edge on the bolt used to attach her artificial leg.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
She's wearing a mini-skirt  :o

(What a relief)  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter for your insight.  We were able to shine a light on the photograph, used my son's i-pad(?) and took another picture.  The individuals in my "original" photo do not have what appears to be clown noses, those marks turned up in this picture.  :o  I included the rest of the individuals to show that it was a breezy day.  I am guessing that the photograph may have been taken c1924.

Looking at the latest image, does it still appear that Dora had an artificial leg?  I don't mind if she did or didn't, it would just be nice to figure this out.

Again, thank you Peter for your thoughts.  Lisa

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
My vote is for having both her own legs and feet.

I have thought so from the beginning . . . Just for the record!    ;D :D ;D.  (I often sit with one foot tucked in behind the other.)
I am prepared to be wrong, but just saying!!

Got lovely clean shoes too!   ;)

Peter, had the man on her left also got a tear in his trousers?   ;D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.