Author Topic: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:47 GMT (UK) »
More than likely, she didn't have a right shoe with her, or she had an arrangement with the shoemaker/seller to only supply one shoe.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Not knowing where the photo was taken, not having the other shoe is a good possibility as is the idea that she could possibly just order one shoe.

As we discuss Dora, I can't help but wonder about both Dora and her daughter losing a leg/foot.  My dad mentioned that Dora's daughter lost her foot/leg (he never mentioned Dora).  He mentioned it several times (he used to help me with genealogy questions that I raised).  It seems a tiny bit unusual that both women would have the same misfortune, but I suppose that could have been common "back then"?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
The lady appears to be sitting on the chair at an angle (look at the back of the chair). She is leaning slightly to her right side, and is looking to the left (not straight on).

That may explain why she has put the other foot slightly behind to help with her balance?
It could also explain why the dress is hanging down on her right side.

She is looking a little miserable because you are all trying to chop her foot off!

Giggsy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »

If she was diabetic, it is very likely that she had eye problems as well as foot problems. Was there any mention of Dora's eyes?

Any chance of taking  a photo or a scan of the whole photo?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Giggsy:

I've had some personal problems (don't most of us these days?) and I have to say, your last comment had me laughing out loud.  Thank you for the good chuckle.

Dora does appear to be sitting at an angle.  However, looking at the chair in relation to everything else, it appears to be at an angle.  If that is true, why they wouldn't have fixed it seems odd, but who knows. 

I noticed that I had another reply and now see your reply, Gadget.  All of my grandparents either passed away prior to my birth or shortly after.  We came down to the states when I was young but since my dad worked for an airline, we returned home (Ontario) at least once a year.  During our visits Dora was never mentioned.  I didn't even know her maiden name prior to beginning my research.  I started researching when I was in college (which was a long time ago)  ;) and my dad and aunt only mentioned their father's side of the family.  They didn't even know that Dora's parents were born in Ireland.

In answer to your question, Gadget, nothing was mentioned about Dora's eyesight.  I only knew her first name.

I'm sitting here, trying to duplicate how she was sitting.  I can't quite get her pose. Originally, something was holding me back about posting the entire photograph but you all have been very kind with your suggestions and interest.  I will attach the entire photo in a few minutes as seeing the entire group could be helpful.

Thank you Giggsy and Gadget for your comments.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Attaching Dora's photo.  Note:  The tallest son lost his eye when he was a child, due to an injury (not illness).  Also, in another photo that I have of Dora and William when they were younger (taken in a studio) it shows him looking at the camera and her clearly looking away from the photographer.  I think it was intention rather than a vision problem.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
It looks quite formal type pose. I'm thinking that she would have had both feet on the ground as her husband, so still think she was short of part of her leg/foot.

The two daughters' shoes and stance are a puzzle  :-\

Sorry, Lisa, I'm getting like an online doctor  :-X

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
The daughter standing behind Dora appears to be standing on an earth mound. Thinking that that might have upset the balance of the chair and Dora could have used an  unseen foot for  balance  :-\

Would a death cert mention anything?

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I'm glad I cheered you up a bit! I was wondering how many people would get a chair out and experiment  ;D

Giggsy