Author Topic: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Foot placement; photo taken Ontario, Canada pre-1925
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

Thank you for the chuckle as well.   ;D

I'm not sure what to think at this point.  The photo doesn't really show what appears to be an uneven knee area (that I think I can see in my copy).

However, I am on the shorter side and I know that sometimes my feet dangle when I'm sitting down.  Is there a chance that she was just trying to balance herself (having dangly feet)?  Although, I can sit on a chair similar to the one she was using and my feet don't dangle. :-\

Giggsy - thank you again.  Still laughing and giggling.......

I just reread Gadget's comment about the uneven earth.  The entire photo is just weird.   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Lisa - maybe it's Ontario photographs - I've got some weird ones of my Ontario rellies in the early 1900s  ;D

I've just tried sitting in that slanting position and I nearly fell on the floor with the chair on top

:-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
"I've just tried sitting in that slanting position and I nearly fell on the floor with the chair on top".

That's because you didn't have your other foot set back a bit!  ::)

Giggsy

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I can't stop laughing.

2017 wasn't a very good year for me and my family and this year has already had a not-so-good but getting better (hopefully) start so the humour is so appreciated.

I think I will spend time during the weekend to check out the few photographs from my mum's side of the family.  Was it just Ontario photos (that were weird)?   ;D

Thank you, Giggsy.   ;)  ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 February 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
After reading all of the posts and laughing at the humour, I took a good look at the photo and started giggling to myself, I have to share my thoughts ;D :-X

Not only does Dora potentially have a missing foot, but the two daughters are obviously hiding the fact that neither of them have hands, the daughter behind Dora has only one leg with two feet attached sticking out sideways, and the husband has no fingers on his right hand. 

The only one that we know had a disability was the poor son who lost his eye.

Was their neighbour a practicing amputation surgeon  :o
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 February 18 01:49 GMT (UK) »
In  the photo where Gadget has lightened the area, you can see  a small lighter patch to the left of the shoe. I have tried to enhance the area, could it be her other shoe? Or am I seeing things that are not there  :-\ :-\
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I would say that what you'rre seeing is a pebble or lighter piece of soil, Pat. If you look at that area on the full pic, there's a small mound of earth.  You've smoothed it which disguises the soil.

I can't see a foot there but she could be hiding it.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Here's a larger portion of the full photo showing the soil

PS - the full picture  makes it more likely that she's got her foot hidden on the uneven ground.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 February 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Judging by the expression on the faces of the two chaps on the left, I think they have spotted the missing leg...  by the side of the photographer  :)