Author Topic: Kilpatrick - McMullen - Diamond  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilpatrick - McMullen - Diamond
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
so, it now seems my GGG Granddad didnt marry Annie at all and that is just a big fat coincidence that didnt accurately match.

Im now searching for his 1st wife Margaret Reilly.  To start ive attempted to find their marriage cert looking at both Scottish and Irish records but ive come up with zilch! What am i doing wrong?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Reilly / Edward McMILLAN marriage 1894 Anderston Lanark ....... maybe.

Death Margaret McMULLEN(or Reilly) , age 27 , 1901 Anderston Lanark.

If that's the correct Margaret then perhaps it was Thomas Kelly that prevented Edward and Elizabeth from marriage until 1913  :-\

Looking at the Valuation Rolls on SP there is an Edward MacMILLAN/MacMullen listed at 107 Stobcross Street Glasgow in 1915 , 1920 , 1925 , and 1930.

Have you found Edward McMullen or Elizabeth Kilpatrick/Kelly on the 1911 Census ?

ev

Added -
I would use M*CM*L*N on the surname search for McMullen.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev

I found him under Edward McMillan, married to Margaret Reilly 2nd April 1894 :)

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev, Sadly yes it is Margaret. so Edward didnt have an affair then! he was widowed and met Elizabeth after. My great gran Agnes was illigitamate so it mustve been Thomas Kelly that was still married to Elizabeth, which is why they couldn't marry until 1913, 8 years after Agnes was born.

I felt like id wasted time with Annie but im so glad you're helping me Ev :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Glad you seem to be on the right track now  :)

1911 Census index , Anderston , Lanark , Ref. 644/11 2/ 24
Edward McMullan 39
and
Agnes McMullen 6

Different spelling on surname but same reference number on index , and they do seem to be together  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Great Thanks!!!

Can anyone read this please?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
On the fourteenth day of October 1889 at St Andrews Chapel Great Clyde Street Glasgow a Marriage (after banns) was solemnized between us according to the Forms of the Roman Catholic Church. (Signed) James 'x' his mark Rielly, 26, 35 Hill Street, Labourer, Bachelor, Peter Riley, mason, ? Riley maiden name Masterton. (Signed) Mary 'x' her mark Fairley, 22, 95 Saltmarket Street, Glasgow, weaver, spinster, Peter Fairley, Labourer, Ann Fairley maiden name Winters. (Signed) John ?Gray? (Signed) Jane McManus, witness, (Signed) James Lennard, witness. above marriage was registered by me at Glasgow on the 17th day of October 1889, John Steven, Registrar.

Some of it is pretty hard to read and I don't guarantee to be 100% correct!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
On the fourteenth day of October 1889 at St Andrews Chapel Great Clyde Street Glasgow a Marriage (after banns) was solemnized between us according to the Forms of the Roman Catholic Church. (Signed) James 'x' his mark Rielly, 26, 35 Hill Street, Labourer, Bachelor, Peter Riley, mason, ? Riley maiden name Masterton. (Signed) Mary 'x' her mark Fairley, 22, 95 Saltmarket Street, Glasgow, weaver, spinster, Peter Fairley, Labourer, Ann Fairley maiden name Winters. (Signed) John ?Gray? (Signed) Jane McManus, witness, (Signed) James Lennard, witness. above marriage was registered by me at Glasgow on the 17th day of October 1889, John Steven, Registrar.

Some of it is pretty hard to read and I don't guarantee to be 100% correct!

That's Is a pretty good try!! Thank you so much!!

What does his mark mean and after banns?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
His or her mark, X, simply means that both James and Mary were illiterate (could not write or read). They made an X by their names instead of a signature.

Banns to a marriage are legal requirements to a marriage. See here for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banns_of_marriage

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk