Author Topic: Kilpatrick - McMullen - Diamond  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilpatrick - McMullen - Diamond
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Very Interesting, so basically Banns is "speak now or forever hold your peace" kinda thing??

Forfarian, could you translate this please?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Any couple intending marriage had to be proclaimed three times from the pulpit in the parish kirk (though there were ways round this), and if there were no objections, the wedding could then take place.

Edinburgh, 20th February 1854. Proclaimed 19th February 1854. Patrick McMullin, Seaman on Board the Victoria Steam Ship, and Mary Ann McGill, lately residing at No 11 Greenside Street, Greenside Parish, daughter of Peter McGill, Porter, Granton, have been Three times Proclaimed, in Order to Marriage, in the Parish Church of Greenside, and no objections have been offered. Married at Leith on the 28th day of February 1854 by the Rev Archibald Macdonald Roman Catholic Clergyman.

You didn't really need a transcription of that - it is beautifully written and really easy to read :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mariposaloca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Any couple intending marriage had to be proclaimed three times from the pulpit in the parish kirk (though there were ways round this), and if there were no objections, the wedding could then take place.

Edinburgh, 20th February 1854. Proclaimed 19th February 1854. Patrick McMullin, Seaman on Board the Victoria Steam Ship, and Mary Ann McGill, lately residing at No 11 Greenside Street, Greenside Parish, daughter of Peter McGill, Porter, Granton, have been Three times Proclaimed, in Order to Marriage, in the Parish Church of Greenside, and no objections have been offered. Married at Leith on the 28th day of February 1854 by the Rev Archibald Macdonald Roman Catholic Clergyman.

You didn't really need a transcription of that - it is beautifully written and really easy to read :)

Forfarian, again thank you, and yes unfortunatley i did need your help as i dont have very good eyesight and i really struggled with a few of the words so i needed your help to help me make sense of it :)  much appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 February 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
No problem :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.