Author Topic: 69 Selkirk Road, Tooting, London S W CONFECTIONERY TOBACCO NEWS Shop 1911  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
69 Selkirk Road, Tooting, London S W CONFECTIONERY TOBACCO NEWS Shop 1911
« on: Friday 09 February 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find more information about a confectionary tobacco news shop that my 2x grandfather, Frederick Douglass run in 1911 from his house 69 Selkirk Road, Tooting. On the 1911 census his occupation is shown as CONFECTIONERY TOBACCO NEWS and C  His two daughters Eliza and Emma were shop assistants. Would like to know when Frederick started or took over the business. I assume the house was rented?
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Selkirk Road, Tooting, London S W CONFECTIONERY TOBACCO NEWS Shop 1911
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Was he there in 1901?

If not - it narrows down the search to between 1901-1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
No, Frederick wasn't there on the 1901 census. He is at 17 Sidmouth Street, Reading, Berks. His occupation is described as a lithographic Printer, probably working for Huntley and Palmer, the biscuit manufactures. In 1908, he was still living at 17 Sidmouth Street, Reading, information from the death certificate for his wife Eliza Chinnery Douglass nee Wells.

You did , though give me the idea of looking up the address on the 1901 census. I found the occupant was an Edwin Hutchings and his occupation: newsagent, own account.

There were no results for the address for 1891. On the 1939 census it is still a Newsagent And Tobacconist, although not run by any of my family.

1918 Frederick Douglass was living at 75 Tranmere Road, Wandsworth

Frederick Douglass died 22/05/1919 • St. James Infirmary, Ouseley Road, Battersea, London.
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Edwin HUTCHIN*s is listed at that address right up until 1910 on the LondonElectoral Registers.

Maureen

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.