Author Topic: William Johnston, 1878, living at 60 Earl Street,Belfast  (Read 3466 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston, 1878, living at 60 Earl Street,Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »

... Then I realized the Thomas that died Apr 20, 1878, the date I was given by the family, is not the correct Thomas ...

I had a sneaking suspicion along these lines, that is why I made the comment 'though it has to be said that what I've posted already relates to a William Johnston who varies considerably from your contact's William Johnston in respect of occupation and marital status'.

That's a shame, but it just highlights how unreliable information from family / contacts can be.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find the correct date of death for my Thomas Johnston and so far, no  luck.  He was born abt 1805 in Castledawson to father William. His future wife was Margaret Woodside born abt 1810 in Drumlamph, Castledawson to Robert Woodside. Thomas and Margaret were married Dec 28,1838 in the Presbyterian Church in Castledawson.  I have 6 children for them, the oldest being William born Jan 10, 1840 in Aghagaskin, and reportedly William went to work in the shipyards in Belfast. So Margaret died Apr 6, 1878 in Killyfaddy, Magherafelt and her son  Woodside Johnston was present at her death. She was a widow so Thomas died before that which is why I was dubious about the Thomas who died Apr 20, 1878 in Magherafelt as a widower. Can anyone suggest how I can find Thomas' death? I have used irishgenealogy.ie and familysearch and discovereverafter (which I cannot get on with their new website). His death should be in Killyfaddy, Ballymoghan, Magherafelt, Co. Derry. His youngest son Thomas Woodside born 1855 went to New York state. So my Thomas should have died after 1855. Perhaps I should post this on the Derry board as well.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
It's possible there's no death certificate because he died before the start of civil registration of deaths (1864). Have you checked land records to see if there are any changes noted in the place they lived?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I have not checked land records but I did just order a death certificate from nidirect for 1877 death. Hope it is right person!!! All the others didn't seem correct age and even this one was 4 yr out as he was age 76 making his birth 1801 and I have 1805. Should see in a day or so.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
What do you mean ordered from nidirect and should see in a day or so? You can view an 1877 death certificate immediately after registering and purchasing a few credits-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I did pay and understood they would email me the certificate. I will try and view online.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 February 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I contacted the GRO and they said they do not email certificates. They never addressed my question about instant viewing.
Peggy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 February 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Did you contact GRO or GRONI?

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
The reply was from General Register Office | Colby House | Stranmillis Court | Belfast I BT9 5RR.
Anyway, I am sad to say that I thought the certificate cost more than usual.  Where could I order from to get it cheaper? But I am happy to say that I went back online and clicked here and there, until I hit the right button and I saw the certificate. And it is the correct person!!!! My Thomas died Nov 23, 1876 Killyfaddy, age 77, which makes him born abt 1799 whereas I had 1805 before. I know it is the correct person, as Woodside Johnston was present at death, named after his mother Margaret Woodside. One source says father Thomas was born Castledawson and another says Scotland.
If anyone has access to an obit or death notice or anything else regarding this death, it would be greatly appreciated. Woodside himself is supposed to have died 1935 so I will chase that next.
Thanks ever so much for everyone's help.
Peggy