Author Topic: Please could you offer a date for this photograph?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Please could you offer a date for this photograph?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Lovely restoration Carol, reveals the dress in all its glory.  Fabric appears to be velvet with satin
trims at neck and sleeve, very opulent and suggests wealth.  Her hair is elaborately dressed as well.
Apart from its obvious maritime connections an Anchor is a symbol for Hope, the Cross is a symbol
for Faith and the Heart a symbol for Charity.  I have often seen these three grouped together
on charm bracelets and necklaces.

I feel in this photograph the anchor might signify a maritime connection.  Unsure about the cross.
The chain appears to be 2 separate pieces as the dress is visible between the 2 pieces.

Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Would the housekeeper be wearing such very rich clothing?  ( just asking   ;) )

I can't see the anchor . . .  I can see her clothing making two curved light patched around one end of her chain, but the other thing looks more like a crucifix to me.  I bet I am wrong though.    ;)

There is only the top of it visible Wiggy just above her thumb. The dress wouldn't have been cheap as it looks to be velvet.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Lovely restoration Carol, reveals the dress in all its glory.  Fabric appears to be velvet with satin
trims at neck and sleeve, very opulent and suggests wealth.  Her hair is elaborately dressed as well.
Apart from its obvious maritime connections an Anchor is a symbol for Hope, the Cross is a symbol
for Faith and the Heart a symbol for Charity.  I have often seen these three grouped together

I feel in this photograph the anchor might signify a maritime connection.  Unsure about the cross.
The chain appears to be 2 separate pieces as the dress is visible between the 2 pieces.

Jen.

Thank you Jen....how nice of you to say, it's always good to get feedback.
I should have read your post before responding to Wiggy....yes I think we reached the same conclusion about the dress. Interesting comments about the accessories and food for though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 00:55 GMT (UK) »
There is only the top of it visible Wiggy just above her thumb. The dress wouldn't have been cheap as it looks to be velvet.
Carol

Ah yes - now I see it.  Was looking in the wrong place.  ::)  :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »

Jen.

Thank you Jen....how nice of you to say, it's always good to get feedback.

Carol

Beautiful restore as usual Carol - you always make a fabulous job but perhaps don't always receive the appreciation you so richly deserve.    ;D 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Aw thank you Sandra...how nice of you to say....feedback is always very much appreciated  :-*
Carol

Offline Neill Richard Potts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm now wondering if this lady is my 3rd great aunt who was engaged but her fiancee was lost at sea. She was born 1844 so if she was 20 (ish) at the time of the photograph then this would make it around 1865 which roughly fit's in with the estimate date of 1870's. I've attached a copy of a photograph of her aged 50 when she married a widower - she had no children of her own.

There appears to be a good likeness between the photographs?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
To try and compare
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
That's a big help. Thank you Rosie......

I feel there is a resemblance in the jaw width perhaps?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.