Author Topic: 1851 Census for Kelso or Hawick, Roxburghshire, England  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census for Kelso or Hawick, Roxburghshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the people living on Cleveland St, Hartlepool in 1851 -- of all the families living on that street then -- yours isn't there I'm afraid (at least I couldn't see them).

Funnily enough there was a lodger living on that street named 'John Gaulacher' -- but age looked like 36 -- a Dock Labourer, unmarried, born Ireland. Age is incorrect though (although you can never rely on that being correct).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
How did you search Cleveland Street?  I couldn't find that.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 February 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
You can search by address on both Find My Past and The Genealogist. I am a nerd and have access to both sites as well as Ancestry!

I looked on The Genealogist for Cleveland Street, in the county of Durham. You can do the same on Find My Past, although it is a more complicated search screen. (In my opinion)

On Find My Past you will need to go to the A-Z and input 1851 census as your search term -- then when you select that option from the results, you get the facility on this search screen to insert an address. The search screen if you simply choose 'census' from the Search screen at the top of the home page doesn't give you the address option. Goodness knows why the 2 available census search screens differ on that site.

Places of interest;

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I might have missed it, but have you tried a search just using William`s name and year of birth,plus Eliza. There could be a possibility that the John Gaulacher in Cleveland Street is the right one and he had gone there looking for work, while the rest of the family were living elsewhere.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look on Scotlands People 1851 Census for your family but found nothing. I used all the search possibilities and the only one with that surname in the Borders is a James Galagher aged 25 living in Kelso.

Very frustrating for you but it happens frequently that people back then were missed on the census night (deliberately or otherwise).

Just a bit of advice if you don't mind. For Scottish records please use Scotlands People site as these are the original records and not transcriptions like you get on Ancestry, Find My Past and so on.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
BillyF --- I had wondered about that also (John going to find work) --and did a search on Scotlands People - for a William with mother Eliz.

Found one, but she seemed to be married to a Samuel Gallagher (or variant!).

It did seem a coincidence about that John being on the same street in Hartlepool - and of course the person giving the information would have been the Head of House, so maybe didn't know personal details - such as age and whether he was married or not.
Places of interest;