Author Topic: 1851 Census for Kelso or Hawick, Roxburghshire, England  (Read 2573 times)

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census for Kelso or Hawick, Roxburghshire, England
« on: Friday 09 February 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the family of John Gallagher in this census.  Son, William, (parents John Gallagher and Eliza O'Hara) was baptized 18 Nov 1849 in Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland (born 4 Nov 1849 in Kelso).  I have the baptism from scotslandpeople.com.

The family is in Hartlepool, England by 1852 but I am having trouble locating them anywhere in 1851.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census for Kelso or Hawick, Roxburghshire, England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I was at the library this morning so had a quick look on Ancestry for you.

I had difficulty in locating them using Censuses even using name variations, but there is a tree which looks as if it could be the same family; the same dates are given for William. You would need to verify this, but it seems that the surname may have been written as Golacher.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I can't see them in 1851 either -- but if it's the correct family - in 1861 they are shown as Golloher. You have probably seen this one -- parents and eldest son, John all born in Ireland, William in Scotland and all the younger children born in Hartlepool.

I have tried using first names only in 1851 - with approx birth year and parents' names -- this was Ancestry - but no joy. Maybe another site will have transcribed them more accurately. Its possible I suppose that they may have been 'on the move' at the time of 1851 census. Alternatively -- if they were lodging somewhere and shown as lodgers - then showing parents names won't work as a search tool.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I do have them from the 1861 census and forward.  The question then becomes - what rout would they have traveled from Kelso, Scotland to get to Hartlepool, England?  I can't locate them anywhere in 1851 and I'm trying to find more specific Ireland origins for this family.  It's so frustrating to have these gaps. 

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Both Kelso and Hartlepool are on the eastern side of UK -- maybe the railway had been built -- OR they might have sailed. Wasn't John the father something to do with the docks possibly?

Do you know their religion? I ask this because of the Irish connection. There are lots of RC registers available on subscription sites. May just find the eldest child's baptism.
Places of interest;

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Been looking for that one, too.  I haven't found it yet but I just have a feeling that that baptism for the oldest child took place in Ireland.  Just no luck so far finding anything.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
The eldest child was born Ireland, according to 1861 census. I have been looking for both his baptism and the marriage of his parents in Ireland, but no luck so far.

I am wondering if maybe John the father was in the Army or Navy -- looked at Army births --- nothing obvious. Maybe someone else can find something for the 3 Irish born family members - John and Eliza(beth) the parents and John junior.

Frustrating isn't it -- I hate not being able to find someone.
Places of interest;

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking for six years to no avail. 

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Not sure this helps but I just received the birth certificate for Elizabeth Gallagher - March 1852 in Hartlepool, Durham, England.  They were living on Cleveland Street.  So, I'm guessing she would have barely been pregnant at the time of the 1851 census wherever the family was located.  Any 1851 census should only show John (head), Elizabeth (wife), John (son), William (son).