Author Topic: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors  (Read 5450 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Is 1871 census the last one where George and Agnes show together?

I can see a possible entry for George aged 53 working at Auchendolly, Crossmichael in 1881. If that is him do you think? Have you checked to see what his marital status is?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Just found this entry for 1891. This is from a transcript with an error for this George's age (the original will help you confrm the right age and other details)

George Sneddon 14 head farm servant b. Dryfesdale, Dumfriesshire
Agnes Sneddon 66 b. Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire

Address: Jarbruck Cottage, Glencairn Dumfries

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Mmm...wondering whether Agnes' death has been indexed with errors?

There is a death entry in SP for an AGATHA Sneddon, aged 74. Death in 1896 in Glencairn Dumfries (where we have that 1891 census entry above).

No second surname showing...never a good sign when looking for a married woman as it might indicate that the informant did not know/remember her parents' names... :-\

Worth checking maybe?

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 March 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Just found the same thing, Monica.The reference for Agatha Sneddon is 826/9 - the same reference for Agnes Moffat and both showing as age 74. It must surely be a transcription error.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
That is a good news, William. Looks like it might be the right entry for her then.

Monica  :)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 March 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Ah Agatha Sneddon.... Never thought of looking for a different name but to be honest, Agatha and Agnes aren't exactly similar.

I've looked at the 1871 Census, George was indeed in Crossmichael and his martial status was married. Perhaps, he was working away or both Agnes and George separated but never divorced? But I've found another interesting fact. Agnes Sneddon (the daughter of Agnes Snr and George) had an illegitimate child- James Johnston Sneddon in 1874 (they were shown on the 1881 Census along with Agnes Snr.

I noticed a link though.... when I looked at 1901 Census for George's whereabouts and it turned out he was visiting someone in Dumbarton- a Adam Moffat who was born in Moffat in 1849. I started to wonder if he was a relative of Agnes Moffat? So I did some digging and found on 1891 Census, Adam Moffat had a James J Sneddon staying with him and he was recorded as 'Nephew" to the Head of household. So this got me thinking that perhaps, Adam was a relative of Agnes Moffat?" But struggling to piece that info together. It's still a breakthrough though!
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
This is another transcription of the 1891 census which Monica found:

George Sneddon 64 Farm servant b Dumfriesshire
Agnes Sneddon 66 b Kirkmichael

Jarbuck Cottage,Glencairn, Dumfriesshire

So I think you can rule out separation/ divorce. The death cert for Agnes in Glencairn in 1896 ought to give you her parents names.

There seems to be more than one Adam Moffat born in Moffat in the late 1840's but I think the following may explain the connection.

Marriage: Adam Moffat and Mary Sneddon 1881 ref 863/10 Crossmichael.

Censuses show Mary Moffat was born in Lochmaben c. 1854 - therefore think Mary is George and Agnes's daughter. This does not rule out a connection on the Moffat side as well but could also explain the presence of James J Sneddon with them in 1891. (Not unusual for family members to be recorded as visitors on censuses). Marriage cert. from SP would confirm if correct.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
A bit more about Adam and Mary Moffat.

Death for him Garngadhill,Glasgow 1916.

Death for her Garngadhill, Glasgow 1920. She appears to have left a will:

Moffat Mary or Sneddon 63, Springburn Road Glasgow died 6 March 1920,at Glasgow  testate. Confirmation granted at Glasgow, 15 March, to Mary Moffat Blackwood or Wilson,63 Springburn Road, Glasgow , her niece.

(Valuation rolls have Adam Moffat as tenant,occupier of 63 Springburn Road in 1915 and Mary Moffat as same in 1920).

William

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 March 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Look like both Adam and Mary never had children. That's a shame

I've noticed something strange- On Adam's marriage certificate, his parents were recorded as William Moffat and Martha Kennedy. But on his death certificate, his mother was written down as Jane Kennedy.

I've looked at SP and can't seem to find a record of Martha/Jane Kennedy. The hunt goes on...
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.