Author Topic: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors  (Read 5472 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
There is an OPR for the birth of an Adam Moffat 11/9/1848 in Moffat - parents William and Martha Moffat - her surname, however, is given as Benson. This does seem to tie up with the 1851 census where there are also two sisters - the OPRs also give mother's maiden name as Benson.

Find a grave has a death for Martha Moffat 18 Dec 1851. William then seems to have remarried to an Isabella Marchbank in 1852- Find a grave gives his death in 1879. If I have followed the correct William his occupation seems to have gone from butcher to farmer and then grocer/barber!

If correct worth remembering that Adam was very young when his mother died.

You might also find it interesting to follow James Johnston Sneddon - he seems to have married Helen Grant Anderson in 1899 and is showing as a writer in Bothwell in 1901. All subsequent records for him are in England (and there are a lot of them!). He and Minnie Louisa  Gobell seem to have lived as man and wife from at least 1903 onwards, only getting married shortly before his death in 1927.  Interestingly he named his house in East Molesey, Glencairn. On the marriage cert he names George Sneddon,  farmer as his father! I cannot see a death for his first wife but he is recorded as a widower on his second marriage cert.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I think perhaps, he considered George and Agnes as his parents, rather than grandparents because they were the ones who raised him? It's a plausible explanation. I didn't see his name on the subsequent censuses with his mother and stepfather before he moved away.

Thanks for digging into this family history, I struggled because when I looked through the Sneddon line, from Agnes Sneddon Snr (Moffat), I found that others had traced her lineage all the way back to William Wallace in 1200s! I was pretty sceptical about this because it's well known that William Wallace did not have any children at the time of his execution. So I thought I'd double check to make sure all information were correct. Turn out, it might be possible that I am descended from William Wallace?
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.