Author Topic: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors  (Read 5473 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sneddon/Snedden Ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 February 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
That's strange. I looked at Janet Sneddon and her Husband James Stewart family and there is no record of a Margaret Stewart being one of their children.... That's new!

I've tried to attach couple copies of the baptism records for some of the Sneddon kids but they're too big to upload so I'll have to try to edit them tomorrow.

Is there usually some additional information on these kinds of records?
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Old Parish Register entries are a bit of a lucky dip...you don't know what is there until you look. Best expectations really is that the names of sponsors to the christenings provide some clues as to family names and help you make further connections.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Most of the baptism registers for all of Sneddon kids had no mention of sponsors so I'm not sure...

Here is an example of a register for Dinah Sneddon.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 February 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the dates of the birth of Margaret Stewart (granddaughter) in the 1871 census posted by Monica did Janet Sneddon not marry James Stewart until 1872?

I think,therefore,that  this could be Margaret Stewart's birth (as Sneddon)

Margaret Sneddon birth 9 June 1865 Kirkpatrick Juxta. Mother Janet Sneddon.(No father named)

Now turning to the excellent Scottish Indexes and their paternity decree case index

Pursuer: Janet Snedden,daughter of and residing with George Snedden (Farm Servant),  Cogrie Muir, Kirkpatrick Juxta.

Defender: Alexander Stewart, Carter, Lochmaben ( formerly at Kersmuir, Johnstone)

Year of child's birth 1865
Year extract issued 1866.

So while Margaret's surname is Stewart it would appear her father was not James Stewart.

I think were you to locate Margaret's birth cert.you will find an RCE (Register of Corrected Entries)  attached to it outlining the above paternity.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 February 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor- THANK YOU for this.

You've uncovered another skeleton in my family cupboard.... seems Janet has a thing for Stewart men. haha.

Can you tell me how to access RCE? I'm always learning about different sources for Scottish ancestry so the more, the better! Particular for the records pre 1850 as I've found more family members from 1700s and before, but no records has been found. So I would love to find out if there is another online source where I can find a copy of records from that time?

Thanks

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 February 18 09:53 GMT (UK) »
"Original entries in the Statutory Registers  of Births  Deaths and  Marriages cannot be altered but sometimes an error is noted or additional information comes to light.These amendments are recorded in a separate register- the Register  of Corrected Entries (RCE). A cross reference to the RCE vol and page is added in the margin of the statutory register entry".

So the RCE's only apply to the post  1855 statutory registers. On Scotland's People if an RCE has  been added  to a BMD there will be  a link to it at the top of the certificate which you will have already played for.

They will  not help with pre 1855 gaps. As Monica said the OPR's can be very hit and miss. A lot of them do not survive. Researching pre 1855  in Scotland is not without its challenges!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again....

Back here as I've hit a stumbling block re Sneddon family tree. I've been looking for a marriage record between Agnes Moffat and George Sneddon but couldn't find one. And according to Ancestry, Agnes parents are John Moffat and Margaret Craig, however, when I looked them up, I found that they did have children but Agnes was not one of their children. I know that some other members just pluck a name out of nowhere and decided that they matches, even if they don't. Hence trying to find a marriage record as it might help to tell me who her parents were.

Fiona

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »

According to the records, George married Agnes Moffat in 1847 in Dumfries and Galloway.

Hi Fiona

You mentioned this at the begining of the thread. If the record is available on the Old Parish Registers (is this year from their children's births?), it would not give you Agnes' parents' names as it took place before 1855 and the start of official registration. Your best option, if you haven't done so already, would be to check her death registration and hopefully the informant gave the correct details.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
"You mentioned this at the begining of the thread. If the record is available on the Old Parish Registers (is this year from their children's births?), it would not give you Agnes' parents' names as it took place before 1855 and the start of official registration. Your best option, if you haven't done so already, would be to check her death registration and hopefully the informant gave the correct details."

I did wonder that Monica. I checked the OPR and there were no sign of a marriage between them in any years at all. I'm also struggling to find a death record which is rather strange because Agnes was supposed to have died about 1898. I know that it was definitely sometimes before George's death which was in 1902.

I even used different spelling of surname to try and increase my chances of finding her.
Fiona