Author Topic: James Edgar Fletcher  (Read 777 times)

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Edgar Fletcher
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out about my Grand Father James Edgar Fletcher Born 1910 - 1960. He was an Italian POW who escaped and lived/hid with the partisans until the end of the war and came home. Trying to find out his Regt/Rank and when his unit went to Italy. Any information will be greatly received, thanking you all for your time.
Regards
Mike Fletcher
Fletcher, Lofthouse, Tressider, Dale, McAllister, Beaton, McInnes, Comrie

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Edgar Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Although you don't have his regiment or number, if you have his date of birth, his death certificate, £30 and are his next of kin (or can get their permission) then you can apply for his service record and proceed from there.  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

He doesn't come up in the National Archives records of POW debriefing reports.  The name does appear in some POW lists but with no identifying information.  You won't find anything that answers your questions on line I'm afraid.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max,
Many thanks for your reply, this subject is a long haul, no photos left of him in uniform and no relatives left alive to ask more about him. I will go into the link you suggested and see what crops up, i have a copy of his death cert. Many thanks for your help
Regards
Mike Fletcher

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 15:45 GMT (UK) »
All,
Finally found most of the information required. Cpl JE Fletcher was wounded and taken POW in the western desert with the 5th Battalion Green Howards. He ended up in POW camp 202 in Lucca, Italy then escaped and made his way to the Allied front line further south.
Regards
Mike

Item now closed