Author Topic: Which one is Yaqub Sarruf (1852-1927) in the group photograph?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Which one is Yaqub Sarruf (1852-1927) in the group photograph?
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
This link https://150.aub.edu.lb/timeline#15
shows the first graduating class of the Syrian Protestant College, Beirut (now AUB) taken in 1870. They are  Ibrahim Khairallah, Kaisar Ghureiyib, Naum Mughabghab, Yakub Sarruf, and Ibrahim Musawwir, with John Frazer (master).

Some websites (including AUB!) suggest Sarruf is standing on the right; another says that person is Ibrahim Khairallah.

However, the AUB Library say “Yakub Sarruf is the fourth either from the right or left, it is hard to tell” (!)

They suggest I make a comparison with the other undated photo of Sarruf, which they sent me. (By the way can anyone suggest a date for this?)

I am incapable of doing this sort of comparison, so over to you Rootschat experts.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Which one is Yaqub Sarruf (1852-1927) in the group photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Before putting them side by side I was favouring the fellow on the left of the older Yakub (pictured below).

But now I’m going for the fellow on the right.

Like the older Yakub, he has less hooded, more “open” eyes than the other(s). He also has a lighter, less luxuriant moustache than the other(s).

And, to me, the most telling feature is this:  Notice the lines in their cheeks. (I’ve exaggerated these lines in the young fellows’ faces in the mock-up below, but if you zoom in to the original you can just see them.) The cheek lines on the fellow on the left are shaped like this: “) (“, going out to the side of his face, while the older Yakub’s cheek lines are shaped like this: “( )”, going down to meet his moustache and mouth corners - the same as they do on the face of the fellow on the right. Voila!

Hope this helps.

Peter 
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I would the man on the right as you look at the photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I would the man on the right as you look at the photo.
Carol

Certainly the only one with similar sloping eyebrows.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Peter - I certainly see what you are getting at - thanks for the side-by-side positioning.

Carol & Gadget - to be clear, do you mean the chap on the right standing or sitting?

The only other one of the group I have tracked down, so far, is Ibrahim Khairallah.
http://kalimahpress.com/blog/the-strange-journey-of-the-syrian-ibrahim-g-kheiralla-the-first-bahai-missionary-to-the-united-states-part-2/
Part 1 says he is the graduate standing on the right, but is he one of those sitting?

I suppose there's not much to go on, but could anyone hazard a guess at a date for the picture of the older Sarruf? All I know is it's from a book of 1962.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
The man standing Steve.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
phew !   ;)
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop